Freedom: hauling liquor

Users who are viewing this thread

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was watching a show about making moonshine. They used copper fittings.

with lead free solder I hope, or brazed fittings? I have a 5 lb spool of food grade solder that can solder stainless steel made by Eutectic. Fantastic stuff. I hope I don't use it all up. Well, I've had it for 30 years and still have more than 1/2 left, so I should be OK.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I can't wait untill I I get my bathroom reno done and put the fixtures in. I've gained a wealth of info from this site on plumbing issues, especially venting, and applied them to my work. I hope when I flush my new Toto toilet, drain my new tub and Toto pedestal lav the house does not implode and my cespool rise out of the ground. So I will just gain pleasure here from Ian's corner and help out some electrical issues where I can.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Great to know I can brew my own beer and wine here for own consumption.

What, then, is the Great American reasoning for not allowing me to brew my own hard liquor?

As for fireworks, it's just a common sense issue like with guns. They should not be allowed.

You guys get all funny about DIYers installing water heaters and electrical panels and then fight for the right for people to blow themselves (and others) to bits with fireworks and guns.

That is messed up. You can't pick and choose with freedom.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're thinking too much.
I talked to a trauma nurse the other day, she said it was real busy on the 4th.
We know it. It's dangerous. I personally have gotten over blowing things up, but it took some time to get that out of my system.
So yes I know we do the crazy stuff on new years and on the 4th. Frankly, it's hard to get much sleep on those days, and I do worry about the wood shakes on my home. The neighbor used to light his stuff in the front yard and aim it at my house. And yes, me and the neighbors get along great. It's only one day a year. It's nice to have a few guys near my age that I get to talk and we have some kids that are common age. I did feel bad when his son got hurt though. But sometimes you just have to let boys be boys. We take chances all the time in this life. If we don't, we have regrets. Living with regret isn't so great either. Ian, you need to get a little crazy like the rest of us. You sound like you're aging way too fast for someone your age. So this weekend, your job is to do something you don't normally do, push the boundary a bit. That still you're making is a good start. Liquid courage it is.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

What, then, is the Great American reasoning for not allowing me to brew my own hard liquor?

As for fireworks, it's just a common sense issue like with guns. They should not be allowed.

You guys get all funny about DIYers installing water heaters and electrical panels and then fight for the right for people to blow themselves (and others) to bits with fireworks and guns.

That is messed up. You can't pick and choose with freedom.

Making hard liquor requires the distillation of Ethanol. That can be dangerous and can explode. My permit for a still required an affidavit that I would not use the alcohol for human consumption, just for fuel for vehicles.

Your last sentence is an oxymoron if I ever heard one. Is it original? Google is your friend too.:)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That can be dangerous and can explode.

Like a gun.

Ban/control/restrict things that explode!

And yes it was original, but I did not notice the oxymoron until you pointed it out. Shall we make a T-shirt for the T party?

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Like a gun.

Ban/control/restrict things that explode!

And yes it was original, but I did not notice the oxymoron until you pointed it out. Shall we make a T-shirt for the T party?

Good idea Ian, but are you even allowed to utter the words "Tea Party"?

Cookie

Reaction score
The more bans you got Ian, the more people are going to try to break em. That in itself becomes a dangerous thing, probably more so. Make something illegal and you get everyone's attention. I wouldn't want to live in a world where you couldn't think for yourself, where everything little thing that could be remotely dangerous would be taken away from you, why do you want so many many things controlled for you? You lose so many freedoms. Ian, you have never experienced what we have in the US, you do not realize what you would lose. No one ever does, until, whatever, it is, whether a person, or a freedom until, you do. Then, it is sometimes, and most of the time, too late. With your bans, I see, that you have nothing to compare it other than statistics, and honestly, that is like comparing apples and oranges. It won't work.

Cookie

Reaction score
Just recently, I read where a young woman objected to removing a scarf from her head on a rollercoaster ride. You say, americans love rules. Well, one rule was started 3 years ago on rollercoaster rides that all headgear had to be removed for it could fly onto the rails and cause a disaster. This woman didn't want to remove the scarf. The rule was made for everyone to follow. Yet, this woman screamed blue bloody murder saying it was because she was of a different religion. It was dangerous for her to leave it on. Did she see it that way really?

So, should we ban roller coasters? Because people do not want to follow rules.

If you use fireworks, follow the rules, use commonsense.

Same as this woman should had thought of.

Making rules are alot better just banning this or banning that.

...and, if you cannot or will not, or don't want to follow the safety rules, then, don't do it; it doesn't matter if it is using fireworks, or riding a rollercoaster.

Banning something because of those who will not do what is appropriate is foolish.

Where does it end? Running with scissors?

Last edited:

Terry Love

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is a rule about running with sissors. It's called "Don't run with sissors."

I alway walk slowly when I have sissors.

I went to a football game tonight, and of course everytime we scored against the Oakland Raiders we got some fireworks. Very nice.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score

$$$$$$$$$ Uncle wants to be able to tax the crap out of distilled spirits!!!!!

That is messed up. You can't pick and choose with freedom

Who says so!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score

Where does it end? Running with scissors?

When I was around 4th grade, a kid that was always around the ball field with us all summer, somehow was running with a pair of scissors at home...fell and was killed. After that, I always remembered the rule about running with scissors.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The more bans you got Ian, the more people are going to try to break em.

Absolute jibberish. As you later state Cookie, Americans love rules. I agree that bans would not work in all countries.

But Americans do as they are told. And they like doing as they are told. And they will tell on their neighbors if they do not do as they are told.

It is quite unique.

I have thought long and hard about why Americans are so well-behaved and have come up with the following reasoning.

You all pretend to hate Government, because it's in your constitution and your history and it would be wrong to speak out of turn.

But because you have been told and brought up to resist the trappings of a large Government, you all secretly want one.

It's like a teenage rebellion going on inside you all. So while your parents lectured you to dislike rules and to embrace freedom, you all love rules and want to be told what to do.

This is why Americans do not put their trash out until 8pm if it is the Town's rule not to do so.

End.

Cookie

Reaction score
As I stated, you would rather just ban ban ban... giving no one any choice because of the few who would do something careless and stupid. That is why we have rules, for those few who will not think, giving the majority the choice to still have fun who knows sometimes, all it takes is commonsense.

Nothing is rubbish in our country unless, it is put in a can.

This is something that is hard for you to understand. I can understand why.

And, yes Ian, I think, you make something illegal it looks all that better.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Look, we've got people like Terry letting off fireworks.

You shouldn't allow explosives around kids.

I think Bothell Child Protection Services should come round and take Jamie to safety.

Cookie

Reaction score
You mentioned more than once about legalizing marijuana how would this help the kids in our nation? Do you think, this would explode in their faces? What do you think would be the ramification of legalizing it for kids and for all?

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You mentioned more than once about legalizing marijuana how would this help the kids in our nation? Do you think, this would explode in their faces? What do you think would be the ramification of legalizing it for kids and for all?

Escuse me, all a suddin I got da munchys. Wah? I din say dat.

Cookie

Reaction score
If I smoked, I would want one now! Lol.. Just had to have the fire dept here at my home. Nice. While standing in the kitchen, the alarm goes off in the basement. I looked and it said, GAS... Nice. I figured, I just got a bath and the darn water heater is going. It is old. It is not a whipper-snapper Bob. So, I looked up the number for the gas company, the recording asked, " is it an explosion ( I guess since I am not in bits it is not) is it a fire? I checked my body didn't look like it, and do I smell gas? " So, since, none applied and customer service was closed, I hung up. I spent 1.50 to call information for the fire dept number. They said, to call 911. Now, I want my money back for that call. So, of course, I had to do my hair before they got here, and get dressed and cleaned up the house. The alarm stopped.

Before I knew it, I heard the fire truck outside. They are only down below me. They came dressed in this near 90 some heat in heavy gear. I showed them the path and it read okay down there. They turned on the water heater it was fine. So, it is determined I need a new alarm.

It is outside on my porch beeping now. I am entertaining the neighbors for a Saturday. I did notice not-a-one bothered to come over and say, " hey, you okay?" So, I will move the alarm closer to their windows when I go to buy a new one. :)

Oh, what was so neat was both the men graduated with my oldest and I was showing him pictures of his son. I remembered this man well. He was so sweet, and lied so well, he said that I haven't changed at all. I always did like him.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I've had the same problem with at least one of my alarms. They go straight in the bin if they wake me up with a false alarm more than twice.

Now, weed. The case for legalizing that is it doesn't do anyone else any harm and would kick the criminals in the nuts (who can charge high prices for the drugs they sell if they are illegal). You could sell it in shops, ensure it meets minimum standards (so it is not cut with harmful chemicals) and make sure kids don't buy it. Like with alcohol. You could also tax it to discourage consumption (like the Feds should be doing with junk food and soft drinks).

Fireworks are just dangerous. Like guns. Adults are about as hopeless as using them as kids. Kids can touch expired fireworks and get burnt. Guns just kill people.

Ban fireworks (except for official displays) and guns. Legalize da weed. And sell liquor on Sundays including at gas stations.

Bury the lines. Pay volunteer firefighters a salary. Proivde public healthcare and education for all. Tax churches.

And get some manners.

Then America will be great again.

Should I run in 2012?

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Sure, right alongside of Obama.

Now, for the smoke/carbon monoxide alarm which I paid 60.00 hard earned dollars for, I returned it to HD. I couldn't get the same one as now they only sell that one online, but, I got another one for free. It is your civic duty not to toss things in the rubbish when the companies are responsible. It had a 7 year warranty and I only had it for 5.

Now, so far for drugs. Drugs kill. Here is the problem I see with statistics. You say guns kill, I agree. The numbers can be counted how many people die of a bullet wound, here is the problem, you can't count how many lives was saved by someone having a gun at the right moment at the right time. Those are not counted. I bet it is very very high.

To legalize pot is adding to the already drug equasion problem we have with the younger generation. It is not the same as handing out condoms saying if you got to be sexually active at an early age, use protection. Making the pot healthier is only going to encouage its use. I can hear a kid saying to his mom or dad, " but mom! I bought it at a corner store it is good stuff!" So, now you got more kids driving under the influence but, now high on pot. Where do you draw the line? with what drug? H? Next, lets make H, healthier and cleaner. Nah, Ian, not a good deal. Maybe... given time, in the right time, with the right generation with the right attitudes, that one drug could become legalized, and more with 'real' health problems, cancer, eyesight, could get it over a ******** counter. Maybe, someday, it could be sold and tax revenue collected, but, there is a time for everything, and that time, is not yet here. The mentality of the populous is yet, not right. It is viewed as a street drug, and the cool thing to do. At least with the "spirits" it is seen in a different light, (more social entertaining) and that very same light is the one, which needs to be, before it is legalized and sold in stores in the US. There are too irons in the fire yet. You legalize pot and you will see larger number of deaths than with guns.

You say guns kill, so does drugs, and alcohol is a drug. Ask MADD how they would feel about legalizing and selling a street drug in a store. The clientele in a pot store are going to mostly, be quite young, a few Steve Miller fans here and there, but, mostly, quite young; just at the age to buy.

Think of this scenario, Ian, somehow high on pot, shooting fireworks over your house.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks