installing water to a garage

Users who are viewing this thread

VTplumb

Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a well that feeds a house and will be adding a freestanding garage that I would like to add water to. Can I simply add a tee fitting at the water pipe exiting the well? or is it more complicated than that. In the house it goes like this: line comes into house, then check valve, pressure switch, then pressure tank. BTW there is no way that I can tee off from inside the house, the only way that it will work for me is to tee off at the well.

Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes you can tee off the line coming from the well. You will need to remove the check valve inside the house, but that one should never have been installed to begin with.

VTplumb

Reaction score
Should there be a check valve at the well? before the tee? or are you saying that there sould not be a checkvalve in the whole system?

Also should the tee be brass, stainless or plastic - does it matter? and is it ok to use stainless steel hose clamps (with the screw) or should it be something else.

thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are two schools of thought WRT checkvalves. I think Cary and I are of the same opinion, that in most cases there should only be the checkvalve built into the top of the submersible pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If there were not a check valve on the pump, it wouldn't be working correctly now. You don't need another check anywhere else. What the tee is made out of doesn't matter.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
...in most cases there should only be the checkvalve built into the top of the submersible pump.
I should have elaborated a bit on that. If the system has a galvanized tank and relies on a bleeder/snifter to put air into the tank, there needs to be a second checkvalve.

VTplumb

Reaction score
I am not sure, it is a newer tank, pump (5 years) put in before I bought the house. I did find 30-40 20' long galvinized pipes in the woods, I figure that was from the old system cause our well is drilled to 800' and I think in the 60's they wouldnt of had plastic pipe that could handle the pressure.

How would I identify this "bleeder/snifter" setup?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
How would I identify this "bleeder/snifter" setup?
The bleeder/snifter could be in the well and I doubt you want to pull 800 feet of pipe to see. Remove the checkvalve and it will be immediately obvious as it won't hold the pressure.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Then its a bladder tank...
Ja, but it might not be the first time a galvanized tank with AVC was thoughtlessly replaced with a bladder tank. My neighbour replaced his with a bladder tank. The micronizer continued to entrain air but without an AVC, the air would eventually burp out of the tank and collect in the top of the iron filter. When the iron filter filled with air and would knock a glass out of his hand at the kitchen sink, he would do a manual backwash of the iron filter which of course would purge out the air.

Norcaldave

Reaction score
Im confused. My local well company told me i could not Tee off before the pressure tank. They said the pressure tank controls the pump and it would never deliver to the new line unless the pressure tank needed to be recharged and activated the pump. Am i missing something? Thank you for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks