Old Style Flush Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
My parents have a really old toilet with a Douglas style brass flush valve. The threaded rod that screws into the flapper ball had broken in half, and I found a replacement threaded rod and flapper at a plumbing supply shop.

When I screwed the rod into the flapper as far as it would screw, it seemed very loose, so I screwed it beyond the threads a bit, which didn't seem quite right. It still seems that this flapper will unscrew by itself after a while.

Did I do something wrong, or is that as tight as you can get these things?

BRASS_DOUGLAS_FLUSH_VALVE_ASSEMBLY.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Adjusting the length of the rod sticking out is sometimes the only way to adjust the water level (by making the whole thing longer or shorter). SO, there may not be a stop. And, to keep it adjusted where you want it, you may need to have a nut on the rod as well that you tighten up against the float to help hold the position you've set. Or, it could be poorly engineered foreign made stuff where the sizing is not held to proper tolerances...there's too much of that sort of stuff around, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiko

Reaction score
Jadnashua, there is a stop. It just comes too soon (after only a couple of turns). That's why I screwed it beyond the stop into the rubber to try to tighten it more.

Terry, I'm not sure I can find a backer nut to fit this, since the threaded lift rod has such a tiny diameter (~1/16").

John, do you really think a universal Korky flapper can replace this?

Douglas Flapper.jpg

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Jadnashua, there is a stop. It just comes too soon (after only a couple of turns). That's why I screwed it beyond the stop into the rubber to try to tighten it more.

Terry, I'm not sure you can find a backer nut to fit this, since the threaded lift rod has such a tiny id.

John, do you really think a universal Korky flapper can replace this?

View attachment 13733

That what it's made to do.

John

Kiko

Reaction score
I would think that if you replaced this old, screw-in flapper with any modern flapper, it would never reseat again once the toilet is flushed, since there is nothing to lock it in place on the flush valve.

I might just wrap some teflon tape around the threads of the lift wire to tighten it up.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
would think that if you replaced this old, screw-in flapper with any modern flapper, it would never reseat again once the toilet is flushed, since there is nothing to lock it in place on the flush valve.

I might just wrap some teflon tape around the threads of the lift wire to tighten it up.

They work great, remove the arm attached to the overflow tube and slide the flapper down to the bottom, hook up the chain and your done. Its tight enough that it will stay in place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are some Douglas valves, American Standard especially, which will NOT work with a rubber flapper. Your rod or ball must be defective, because when both are made correctly the rod does screw in and stop at the correct spot. IT has NOTHING to do with the water level or anything else except flushing the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks