P trap problem, change from single to double bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
The problem is this: when you go from a single to a double bowl, neither of the two drains end up directly in front of the hole in the wall. The "U" of the ptrap isn't long enough to make it so the flat leg of the P can fit straight into the wall - i'm short about an inch of travel from either bowl, the hole in the wall is exactly in the middle.

What do you guys do in this case? Do the box stores stock longer "U" sections of P traps, or is there some sort of offset used at some point? Maybe a 45 on the flat leg into the wall? What's the preferred solution you go with when confronted with the hole in the wall being offset too far from the drain of the sink for a standard P trap to reach?

Thanks in advance.

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
Ok, let's try this again.

Normally your stub out is directly behind the sink drain.

Mine is offset 4" to the left.

Any normal P-trap only allows for 3" of offset.

What do?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
With out seeing it you can either offset the waste line or use a center outlet waste.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Do you have seprate waste arms for each sink,each must have it`s own waste and trap

You do NOT NEED to have separate traps for each sink. In fact very FEW sinks are installed that way, and then only because of special conditions. You can either offset the drain towards the closest drain opening, or use a center outlet continuous waste, assuming you do not have a garbage disposer.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Sorry,I was thinking lav sinks he did not mention K/S.Above posts are cool disregard mine.
Deleted other post so not to get others confused.
Guess I need stronger glasses.

Last edited:

Pghsebring

DIY Member
Reaction score
quote; Do you have seprate waste arms for each sink,each must have it`s own waste and trap

You do NOT NEED to have separate traps for each sink. In fact very FEW sinks are installed that way, and then only because of special conditions. You can either offset the drain towards the closest drain opening, or use a center outlet continuous waste, assuming you do not have a garbage disposer.

Two stub outs in wall.

One lines up, that one is done, the other doesn't. What would you do?

What is this "offset"? Picture available?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks