Who puts plaster under a fiberglas tub shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The instructions of all I see insist on plaster or cement bedding of the tub pan to keep some whale from breaking the bottom.

I do it, but most houses I have been in are all dry underneath. I saw a lady in the Wal mart check out line that could put 900 PSI easily on one foot. On her toes only, maybe 2000PSI ....She could dance on rocks and make gravel.

How about a few cans of foam?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on the foam.
Some foam is only for insulating around windows. It's fluffy and breaks down.
Some foam is expanding, which on some tubs can push up the bottom.
If the tub has a plywood reinforced bottom, then you can use that type, but make sure the tub is filled with water first to keep the expanding foam from floating the tub.

The mortar mix, a few piles that can squish out is the safest method that I've found.
Not the only method, but a safe method.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I had a shower base that had foam injected by the factory. Despite my setting it in a bed of mortar, the foam broke down over time and the acrylic base eventually cracked. I set the wife's soaker tub in a bed of mortar and it is rock solid.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use mortar. Foam, the non expanding kind works also but is more expensive, messy and essentially glues the tub to the sub floor which can be a real bear when if it needs to come up. Always check tghe manufacturers instructions because if they say to bed the tub and you don't, any cracks or failures will not be warrantied.

Kimster

Reaction score
I use mortar. Foam, the non expanding kind works also but is more expensive, messy and essentially glues the tub to the sub floor which can be a real bear when if it needs to come up. Always check tghe manufacturers instructions because if they say to bed the tub and you don't, any cracks or failures will not be warrantied.

Any problem with using a layer of poly (plastic) in between the floor and the mortar and the shower base and the mortar (just in case you need to take it out in the future or if you messed up)?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plastic between the tub and mortar would be fine, though I don't think it's needed. The mortar doesn't seem to stick to the tub.
The expanding foam does stick to everything.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I think the MFG says plaster because it expands when it sets and mortar shrinks unles you mix it stiff as a rock.

Seems like a few low cross bars and a bag of plastic shims would be nice of the tub maker.

I'm thinking of 4 or 6 sets of large pressure treated shim sets bedded in pl400.....

Last edited:

Pmaru77

Reaction score
I just demo'ed a perfectly working fiberglass shower (no leaks, solid floor) and it was set with a few piles of mud ...probably drywall mud. It popped right off the shower and the floor.
This was after 38 years. Got Mud?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You put a couple of bags under the tub, then make a few cuts in the plastic to allow air in to harden it. Doesn't really take too long. It is usually hard long before anyone uses the tub the first time.

Markore

Reporter
Reaction score
How heavy are the "couple bags"

hj, you give a lot of great specific advice on here, so I hold you to the standard:

You put a couple of bags under the tub, then make a few cuts in the plastic to allow air in to harden it. Doesn't really take too long. It is usually hard long before anyone uses the tub the first time.

For a 60" tub, would you need a "couple of bags" that weighed 20lbs each or 50lbs each? Or maybe get one 60 or 80 and call it good?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks