replacing old wall hung toilet - help

Users who are viewing this thread

bertgunn

Reaction score
hi folks, got a problem here. I am replacing an old american standard wall hung toilet with a new Glenwall. bolts on fine and seems to line up. I have two problems. First, they added thin wainscoting, so the mating part of the carrier mount (bell? nipple?) is about 1/4 inch behind the surface. Second problem is that that part also has some corrosion and in fact, there are a few holes in it. This part seems to be thin copper while the T that it is either soldered or screwed into seems very heavy and in ok condition. local plumbing supplies only seem to have the usual floor mount wax rings. I did find a foam ring, but wonder how durable it is over years (have an older one in the basement which is hardened and cracked), and don't think it will compress enough to the bell or nipple of the carrier. no one locally has the felt wax type that I have read about. Do any of you have experience finding or replacing the thin copper part or is there an insert that would seal well? I thought of adding some plywood to the wall and attaching a 3" floor flange and siliconing it into the brass T, then using the foam ring. any ideas?
Thanks

bertgunn

Reaction score
gave up

I pulled off the wall board and found that it is a Zurn carrier holding what seems to be a standard copper T, with a short "bell" soldered into it and the bell was quite corroded with holes appearing. toilet backup nuts and washers were never installed, so toilet was resting on the wallboard! I would have had to replace the bell, which is probably not available, and to fudge some kind of adapter into the T would be iffy at best, so have decided to return the Glenwall, cap off the copper T, and re-route piping for a floor mount toto. I could just see years of problems with fudging an adapter. Thanks anyway,
Bert

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They make new Zurn mounts that could be used with either copper or ABS fittings at the back. The mounting bracket comes with all the proper nuts and washers.

The threaded rod, nuts and washers can also be found at a local hardware store.
In most cases, if you have the wall mount, it's less expensive to use what you have rather then replumb for a floor mount.

rrdoug

Reaction score
Another wall mounted, copper "bell" equipped toilet

Hello,

I also have a wall mounted toilet (a very old Crane in this case). I took it off and found a copper "bell", soldered into a brass pipe that is screwed into a t-junction in a vertical ABS waste pipe. The copper bell was corroded and had holes in it and I took it off. However, these seem rather hard to source these days. How would I go about either finding a new copper bell, or alternatively replacing it? (The brass pipe seems to be permanently locked into the ABS receiver, possibly because of 40 years of use)

They make new Zurn mounts that could be used with either copper or ABS fittings at the back. The mounting bracket comes with all the proper nuts and washers.

The threaded rod, nuts and washers can also be found at a local hardware store.
In most cases, if you have the wall mount, it's less expensive to use what you have rather then replumb for a floor mount.

rrdoug

Reaction score
Copper bell

The photo of the carrier with the copper bell does not seem to attach to this posting. It does not have any retaining bolts or screws. The bell is the part that the toilet seal rests against. It is soldered into a brass pipe, which is then screwed into the abs waste pipe behind the carrier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks