Rebuild parts for 1989 Eljer Windsor one-piece toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi, I may have to upload a photo here, but I have an old Eljer toilet that I would like to keep alive by replacing the fill valve and flapper, and whatever else. Right now it is OK, but I'd like to do a PM on it. It is the type that has a little see saw bucket valve on it that is used to fill the bowl. The fill valve and flapper are all the way on the left side of the tank. The tank is so full of iron deposits from our water over the years, that a good photo may be difficult, but I will try if needed.

the fill valve is very short, as is the overflow tube.
Any ideas on what replacement parts I might need and if they are still available?:eek:

thanks,

Bob

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Is this your flush valve? The only one I could find. There should numbers in the tank or lid might help.

eljer.jpg

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Is this your flush valve? The only one I could find. There should numbers in the tank or lid might help.

Here are some photos I took; sorry about the grunginess, but I guess you plumbers have seen worse :) the hose clamp: I put it on years ago because the see saw valve emptying water bucket balancing was off and the bowl did not fill properly

Thanks,

Bob

IMG_0140.jpg
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks cwhyu2. I was on that site a few days ago, from a google search and thought all that stuff was unavailable, but I need to call them on the phone and see what they actually have. I appreciate your searching for me.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
The toilet itself is diconntinued but parts should still be available.
I will call my local parts supplier and see what they say.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I would convert it over to Electronic laser fill with fiber optic water level controller and Stainless Steel Solenoid Flush Valve.

Enjoy your project Bob.

Have a Great weekend.

DonL

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
I would convert it over to Electronic laser fill with fiber optic water level controller and Stainless Steel Solenoid Flush Valve.

Enjoy your project Bob.

Have a Great weekend.

DonL
Then you would have to run electric to it,then you would have a hot seat when it is cold out.
Thanks Don you made my day!

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Actually, my company uses electronic level controls for hotmelt glue pots on bookbinding machines, but even with my discount, it would probably cost me $18K for the parts. The electronic parts would probably not be as reliable though!

I would like to replace the toilet (my wife, probably not) if I could get one to replace it with Eljer's Classic Grey.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Then you would have to run electric to it,then you would have a hot seat when it is cold out.
Thanks Don you made my day!

Then I'd also need a GFI to keep it from being a hot seat formally used at Sing Sing, NY. LOL

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I seen Terry had some nice toilets on sale. Thought I seen free shipping, maybe not.

Get the bidet seat, and your wife will Love you forever and a day.

Of coarse you need the GFI, so her bits don't light up.

The girls like the Blow Dry. Can you blame them ?
Not sure if they are all that good, on the blow dry.

Enjoy your project.

DonL

Last edited:

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am wondering what happened with these parts. I too have one of these (mine is an Eljer Patrician which looks similar but the fill valve seems closer to the left side than the pictured one) and would like to figure out if there is a cheaper replacement fill valve (OEM one is something like $60). I just bought the house this thing is installed in and rebuilt the fill valve with new rubber parts for a 1b1x. My problem is that the cover does not fit well on the toilet (resting on one of the screws of the fill valve). It could have been like this originally but I can't figure out how to fix it. I tried turning the fill valve to a different position but there isn't one that seems to work any better. The toilet is running ok, but I am worried that the lid is going to cause a catastrophic failure. Does anybody know if the OEM fill valve is also marked 1b1x but slightly shorter?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am wondering what happened with these parts. I too have one of these (mine is an Eljer Patrician which looks similar but the fill valve seems closer to the left side than the pictured one) and would like to figure out if there is a cheaper replacement fill valve (OEM one is something like $60). I just bought the house this thing is installed in and rebuilt the fill valve with new rubber parts for a 1b1x. My problem is that the cover does not fit well on the toilet (resting on one of the screws of the fill valve). It could have been like this originally but I can't figure out how to fix it. I tried turning the fill valve to a different position but there isn't one that seems to work any better. The toilet is running ok, but I am worried that the lid is going to cause a catastrophic failure. Does anybody know if the OEM fill valve is also marked 1b1x but slightly shorter?

crosstalk, the fill valve in mine is a 1b1x, and I installed in in 2004. I can't believe it still works OK, but it does. I can't remember if the original was also a 1bix, but I think the marking was really close to that.

I don't know if Terry sells these, but do a google search and you will see it for around 22 bucks.
If I needed only that, I wouldn't have posted this thread; I need it, plus all the other doo-dads in the tank. right now I am redoing my other bathroom, and I did not want to mess with this toilet until the reno is done and the new bathroom in it is in business.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Hi Bob,found your flush valve if you are still searching.
You can call or order online.They will ship and it is in stock.The part # 18014

1-888-ask-Noel

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi cwhy2, thanks for continuing to look for me. The fill valve itself is not a problem, and i should have said that in my first post, although it looked like I said I was looking for the fill valve too . As I replied to crosstalk a few posts up, the 1B1X is the valve in my toilet. I bought one in 2004 at azpartsmanster.com. they still sell it.
I have been working hard on my current bathroom reno (different bathroom than the one with the Eljer). It is gutted fully now and I have to put in nailers around the perimeter so I can install new t&g plywood subflooring over the joists, which are currently exposed.

bob

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Bob,

I found a replacement flapper at a truevalue hardware store if that helps. My problem is that I can't figure out why the 1b1x interferes with the tank lid. I noticed there is a ballcock at ace hardware for one-piece toilets that looks similar but is a bit shorter. Although this one might solve the tank lid problem, I couldn't figure out how to hook up the diverter nonsense to it (different size rigid plastic outlet tube).

Probably just need to replace the whole thing with a toto! I am worried that pressure from the tank lid will crack the ballcock that it is resting on and flood my house.

Richard

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bob,

I found a replacement flapper at a truevalue hardware store if that helps. My problem is that I can't figure out why the 1b1x interferes with the tank lid. I noticed there is a ballcock at ace hardware for one-piece toilets that looks similar but is a bit shorter. Although this one might solve the tank lid problem, I couldn't figure out how to hook up the diverter nonsense to it (different size rigid plastic outlet tube).

Probably just need to replace the whole thing with a toto! I am worried that pressure from the tank lid will crack the ballcock that it is resting on and flood my house.

Richard
crosstalk, maybe you can put a 1/4 rubber gasket or something between the tank and lid that would raise the lid enough to not contact the valve, yet no so thick as to raise it out of proper engagement with the tank?

Bob

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Hi Bob,I should have said flapper,in the plumbing trade they are called flush valves.
Sorry about that,noel`s does have the flapper assembly you need.
The part# is for the whole assembly.
Hope this helps.
Have fun:D
Clay

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks