clunking noise

Users who are viewing this thread

lupemark

Reaction score
Help me someone please?
Not sure what my problem is but whenever I shut off my kitchen water faucet it makes this clunking noise in the pipes.
The noise sounds if the copper lines are shaking or something.
Has anyone come across this before and may be of help with what I need to do?
Thank you.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If the problem was not always there...then we ask what has changed? First thing would be to take pressure readings on your water supply, with the water off, and with water running. If it is too high, that can cause hammer where it didn't exist before

lupemark

Reaction score
Also what type,brand of faucet,could be the divirter if it has a sprayer.

It's a Moen faucet that's been on the sink now for maybe three years.
This faucet is the kind with the sprayer built into the faucet (1 pieces assembly) so this could have a problem there?
As for hammers...I need to investagate on what/how to install this. I'm what you wold call an extreme novice plumber. I'll tackle jobs that I feel I can handle and seek help for the others.
Thank you for your response!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it is NOT water hammer, then arrestors will be completely useless, and a waste of time and money. And if it is a "pull out spout sprayer" it does not have a diverter, and even if it did it would usually cause the noise when the faucet was turned on, not off. You may need to have a plumber check the system to see where the noise is occurring, and why, so he can decide how to fix it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
For $10, you can buy a simple pressure gauge at the hardware store. Connect it to a hose faucet in the back of the house, or perhaps where the cold water hose for the washing machine connects. Check the pressure when everything is off, and when a faucet is running wide open. Also observe the gauge as someone turns off that faucet.

This will give you some insight as to where the problem may or may not be

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks