24 V on all zones even when only one is on - No water on any

Users who are viewing this thread

andy500ny

Reaction score
I just relocated my Nelson control box to a new location on other side of house. All wiring done correctly. The system worked. Recently the system stopped putting out water. I went to the control panel with my voltmeter. Transformer puts out 24 V. I tried to run an extra cycle, Zone 1 and all others are receiving 24 V at the same time. No water comes out anywhere. I tried other zones one at a time manually, but every time all the zones get 24 V at the same time and no water. When the system is off, the transformer is putting out 24 V and as expected none of the zones get any voltage. Any ideas? I just disconnected all the zone wires and re checked zone connection screws and all seems to be sending 24 V to the correct zone, however if that zone wire is connected it sends 24 V to each of the other zone wires even if they're disconnected from the control panel.

Last edited:

Mike1059

irrigation tech.
Reaction score
Website
www.mrhirrigation.com
First I would check for a reset button in the clock. If you can't find one try disconnecting the power and back-up battery for 0ne minute to reset the clock to factory settings. If this does not work you may have to replace the clock.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I just relocated my Nelson control box to a new location on other side of house. All wiring done correctly. The system worked. Recently the system stopped putting out water. I went to the control panel with my voltmeter. Transformer puts out 24 V. I tried to run an extra cycle, Zone 1 and all others are receiving 24 V at the same time. No water comes out anywhere. I tried other zones one at a time manually, but every time all the zones get 24 V at the same time and no water. When the system is off, the transformer is putting out 24 V and as expected none of the zones get any voltage. Any ideas? I just disconnected all the zone wires and re checked zone connection screws and all seems to be sending 24 V to the correct zone, however if that zone wire is connected it sends 24 V to each of the other zone wires even if they're disconnected from the control panel.

when you say you measured 24 volts at all zones, where did you measure it? at the zone valves? did you measure at the zone valves to the common wire? that connects to one conductor of each valve solenoid? I sounds like what you are measuring is not from the common wire. I may have worked OK when you first made the change, but something happened with the common wire in the cable between the timer and the valve manifold or whatever valve arangement you have. Just my 2 cents.

andy500ny

Reaction score
I measured 24 V at the control panel from the white common to each of the other zone terminal and then also at the zone wires that I disconnected from the control panel.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I measured 24 V at the control panel from the white common to each of the other zone terminal and then also at the zone wires that I disconnected from the control panel.

Check at the valves themselves for voltage from the common wire. Also, at the timer, if you disconnect all the zone wires and the white common wire from the timer, and measure the resistance with your ohm meter from the white wire to each of the wires from the valves, the resistance of each reading should be the approximately the same for each valve if the wiring is OK, and if each zone only has one valve (of the same brand). I don't know if different valve manufacturers valves are all the same, but if the are, the readings should be the same.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If ALL the zones are being activated at the same time the system would not have enough power to do it, but it should also trip the internal circuit breaker. Therefore, either your voltage tests are erroneous or there is a malfunction in the board. As mentioned, removing the battery and unplugging the timer from the outlet for about 15 minutes may reset it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks