Drilling through porcelain tile

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I need to drill some holes in porcelain tile to screw down a toilet flange.

Should I drill the holes before or after the tile is set?

Can anyone recommend the bit and or technique to use?

Thanks!

Cookie

Reaction score
Masonary bits will work but, they make special other bits specifically, for tile, take your pick. It doesn't matter when you drill the holes, but you may find it easier after it is down, but harder to fix if you crack it. Take your time and drill slowly.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would notch the tile just short of where the screw hole is and let the screw go through mortar instead. If I have to drill, I use a diamond bit in a Dremel.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like using a spacer beneath the closet flange, that way I can screw it down and then tile around it.
Or you can pick up some tile bits. It normally takes more then one bit, depending on the hardness of the tile.
Sometimes we use a 1/4" rotohammer bit. :)

flange_02.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Diamond core bits work. And, while you may not want to buy an industrial one, the ones sold at Lowes (from Hitachi) will work long enough to do multiple toilet flanges if you treat it right. The thing needs to be kept wet, or it will overheat, and wear out quickly. The easier way to do this on a horizontal surface is to use some plumber's putty to make a circular dam and make a pool of water.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I picked up a 5/16" diamond core bit for about $17 at the local hardware store.

I didn't want to take a chance of the tile breaking after I installed it so I decided to do it before.

I drilled a hole in a piece of 1/4" plastic that was just slightly larger than the bit size. I placed a piece of wood under the tile. I then made a thin ring of plumbers putty and put it around the marked hole. Then I clamped the 1/4" plastic on top of the tile and putty. The clamp was not clamped tight. Just enough to keep it from sliding.

I filled the hole in the plastic with water as well as the reservouire? in the drill bit.

Once the bit starts cutting the jig only serves to hold water.

Took about 15 minutes total.

This same method could be used on the floor with a jig large enough to put your foot on.

Again, thanks for your help!

Here are some pictures:

Attachments

• diamond2.jpg
    diamond2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,719
  • diamond1.jpg
    diamond1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,704

Rsmith99

Reaction score
After setting the tile the pipe coming up through the floor is pretty low. I will only have about 5/8" of glue surface between the pipe and the PVC toilet flange.
The flange will be bolted to the concrete floor.

Is 5/8" enough to hold and seal the flange. I assume ther is no force or pressure on the fitting.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Make sure the inside edge of the pipe is well deburred. Normally the edge would come flush to the fitting but with only 5/8" there, the cut edge of the pipe will show and solid matter could catch on it.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I screwed the flange to the concrete floor using Tapcon screws. After seeing how plastic flanges crack under tension, I will not install another flange without screwing it to the floor.

Thanks for the help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I screwed the flange to the concrete floor using Tapcon screws. After seeing how plastic flanges crack under tension, I will not install another flange without screwing it to the floor.

Thanks for the help!

Don't use an all plastic flange! Get one with a SS ring instead. Still needs to be anchored, but won't crack or rust.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks