Water heater failed, warranty question

Users who are viewing this thread

bmrowe

Reaction score
My AO Smith Conservationist 40 gal water heater failed today on year 9 of 10 in the warranty.

My question is this: In the manual it says that the warranty only applies to the original owner -- which I think is complete crap. How do they verify this? We moved into the home a couple years ago and I am wondering if there are any ways around this 'original owner' statement. Can I play dumb and get it replaced under warranty like it should be?

Is it going to be best to contact the people who installed the heater or AO Smith themselves?

Thanks!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome bmrowe to Terry's Forum.

That would depend on state Law.

I would not try to play dumb.

If You have the original receipt then you may be in luck.

If not then the original owner that sent in the warranty papers may need to help you.

I think it will be a State Law thing.

Good Luck on your project.

Have a Great day.

DonL

bmrowe

Reaction score
I do have the original receipt, but it obviously doesn't have my name on it -- hence the my worries about the 'original owner only' statement in AO Smith's warranty section

Cookie

Reaction score
If the owner didn't register it, then, you could register it with your name and be the original owner. I do believe this is correct.

If they required it to be registered within so many days though, I guess, that changes things.

I don't know if you know home repair programs within certain companies, but, this is one. It might not apply to your company or if your water heater is failed now.

http://www.dom.com/products/home-repair-programs/water-heater-repair/water-heater-repair.jsp

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a couple of things. Appliance warranties are pro rated so after 9 years on a 10 year warranty, so it will be worth very little. Secondly, AO Smith heaters are not rated very high. You can certainly pursue the warranty angle, but you might want to consider a Bradford White or GE/Rheem. These seem to be the most preferred among plumbers on this forum.

bmrowe

Reaction score
Just a couple of things. Appliance warranties are pro rated so after 9 years on a 10 year warranty, so it will be worth very little. Secondly, AO Smith heaters are not rated very high. You can certainly pursue the warranty angle, but you might want to consider a Bradford White or GE/Rheem. These seem to be the most preferred among plumbers on this forum.

Thanks for the input. I was considering just getting a different brand based on stuff I read. However, if I can get a free replacement that could last 7-8 years after its one year warranty expires, its a lot cheaper than paying $800 for a Bradford White that might fail right after its 6 year warranty expires. If the replacement fails after 1.5 years, then I would definitely switch brands -- although I'd be eating the cost of installation on the warranty replacement.

bmrowe

Reaction score
I talked with AO Smith. The heater had not been registered, so it was still under warranty. I also found out that it was built before some legal change in 2003 where all heaters had to have concealed pilot lights. Therefore, I have to pay a $70 'upgrade' fee for my warranty replacement -- but I get a brand new 10 year warranty in the process. I still have to pay for install/removal, but that beats paying $1000 for the heater and then having to also pay for the install.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I also found out that it was built before some legal change in 2003 where all heaters had to have concealed pilot lights. Therefore, I have to pay a $70 'upgrade' fee for my warranty replacement.

Ahh that's too bad...
That $70 "Upgrade" is what makes them suck so bad...

It's called FVIR which is Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant and the design AO Smith uses is the same as the one used on the Whirlpool water heaters sticky'd at the top of this forum section...

bmrowe

Reaction score
Ahh that's too bad...
That $70 "Upgrade" is what makes them suck so bad...

It's called FVIR which is Flammable Vapor Ignition Resistant and the design AO Smith uses is the same as the one used on the Whirlpool water heaters sticky'd at the top of this forum section...

Wow, that is horrible. Is there any solution? I see people talking about an upgrade kit from Whirlpool that might cure the problem?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wow, that is horrible. Is there any solution? I see people talking about an upgrade kit from Whirlpool that might cure the problem?

The new one you bought has the upgrade already...

But as you can see the results are marginal...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks