Should I get another Americast tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

ober.family

Reaction score
We are looking for a new tub. We just wanted to retile the shower surround but when we took off the old tile we found rust all around the lip of the tub. We have an Americast tub. The tub was installed without any support. I always felt like there was movement when using the tub and the caulking was constantly cracking and had to be replaced all the time. Would it be worth my while to get another Americast tub if it is properly supported? I do like the idea of a lighter weight. FYI... This old tub has lasted 17 years with only one chip in the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Unless you bed the tub with mortar, the new one will flex.
American Standard says that if you embed, you need to lay bisqueen between the tub and the mortar.

Or for about $100 more you can pick up a Kohler cast iron tub.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Cast Iron is the gold standard, stamped steel is the cheap crap we put in apartments,
Americast is an effort to bridge the two, cheap stamped steel tub, with a resin coating to reduce flexibility and help with noise, heat retention and user feel.

If its your home go with cast iron.
Michael

ober.family

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I see from the replies that weight is an issue with a cast iron tub. We have a plywood subfloor. Is that sufficient for a cast iron tub?

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
The weight issue is only on the poor fool that has to carry the tub up the steps. The loading per square foot even filled with water is not an issue. Unless you have significant structural damage.

I did a remodel last year where it looked like the only thing holding the tub up was inertia, everything rotted underneath.

Sadly this was new one year old install the previous tech had shoved a few shims in to support the cast iron tub. Lots of other issues, owner was not happy when I removed the entire south side of his home, due to damage caused by the last workman
Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

ober.family

Reaction score
That is great news! Not so great for my husband though. We do have some damage to the subfloor from leaks around the tile flange. It doesn't look significant but with the added weight of a cast iron tub, I am going to make him replace everything with new stuff!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally two guys can bring in a cast iron tub, unless you are hj. Now showing on the six o'clock news, hj carrying a tub upstairs by himself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks