retaining wall

Users who are viewing this thread

BenWara

Reaction score
I want to put a two tier retaining wall behind my house to lessen the slop of my yard. I have a split lever house with the lower level half underground. I know the footings have to be 4' under ground so they are below the frost line. I assume my footings aren't much deeper than that.

I want the wall to be less than 2' high. So if I go out from my house 2' will that effect the ground freezing and/or damage to the foundation? I googled this for a while but can't find any info.

i attached a pic because might be hard to imagine otherwise.

IMG_20110330_194201.jpg

BenWara

Reaction score
Looks good, but you do realize that your picture does NOT show the footing 48" below the ground.

I think you are making a joke about my drawing not being to scale so haha :)

if you ment something else I don't know what you mean.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What he is saying is that if your picture is supposed to be portraying the building footing at 48" depth, then the retaining wall footing should be drawn at the same depth as the building footing.

BenWara

Reaction score
why would the bottom of my retaining wall have to be to the same depth as my footing for my house? that would leave me with over half my wall in the ground.

my concern of freezing is my houses foundation. I didn't if putting a wall near my house would mess with the frost line.

BenWara

Reaction score
i think i should have mentioned the proposed wall is going to be from interlocking blocks. sorry about that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks