$5800.00 to replace the well pump and wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Maybe nothing, unless your city/county/state contractor's regulatory board has a requirement that any work over a certain maximum must have a written contract.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
You first should start by asking where the extra $2800-3800 came from? Did this verbal agreement include a cap? Sounds like not.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You start by not paying.

Move this to the well forum and ask what it should cost with all the parameters included.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; ask what it should cost with all the parameters included.

One of the easiest jobs is to say how much it SHOULD have cost AFTER the job is done. I always tell customers who ask it that there is NO WAY I can tell them, because I was not there when it was done to see what difficulties they ran into.

Jonnie Claeys

Reaction score
The first guy came out to see why we had no water, and then told us that it would be 2-$3000 depending on how tough it was to get to. Then they proceeded to fry 2 more pumps because they now say the power line to it was bad. This is the same company who put the power line to the pump from our controller in the first place. $3200 of the $5802 was labor. They are so happy for us that the pump company took the fryed pumps back with out charging us! It is not our fault that they took so long working on the wrong thing or that the power line was bad. I am just hoping that someone has an idea about who I can go to about this extra labor charge, isn't there some kind of law to protect me because I was trusting?

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Yes, the law is that you dont pay, you document the flaws with an inspector, then if need be you go to small claims court or negotiate a settlement. You can wire a whole house for his labor charge.

How much wire, what size? You dont pay for WRONG work by dopes. And you dont fry ANY pump because you test voltage at start up FIRST.

Times are hard. Contractors are starving, lots of people getting fleeced.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
This could end up as an expensive lesson for you; Never allow someone to perform work without a written contract that includes a not to exceed without written permission clause. Now that you are in this situation, like ballvalve said don't pay it. Make him go to court and prove why he is owed so much money.

Reaction score
This could end up as an expensive lesson for you; Never allow someone to perform work without a written contract that includes a not to exceed without written permission clause. Now that you are in this situation, like ballvalve said don't pay it. Make him go to court and prove why he is owed so much money.

I don't think the contractor is going to enjoy trying to explain this before a judge...chances are the judge has seen this sort of thing a few times.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks