Water Flow At Both Faucet & Shower Head

Users who are viewing this thread

jerryb437

Reaction score
Looking for a simple fix that may not exist, but here it goes anyway. Got a typical shower & faucet setup. Pull knob on the faucet. I hear people talk about having water flow at the faucet when in shower mode, but I'm having the reverse problem. When in faucet mode, I have water flow coming through the shower head. Thus, a wet head when tring to run water in the tub. I've installed a simple in-line cuttoff at the shower stem to choke off some of the water flow to no avail. Changing shower heads hasn't worked. Is there something else I can try, maybe a pressure valve at the stem instead of a cuttoff??

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Odd that the in-line shut-off didn't work. Must be faulty. They are designed to be able to turn the shower on and off without messing with the temperature adjustment.

Generally how a diverter works is the piping to the shower is always open and simply choking off the tub spout creates enough pressure for the water to overcome gravity and take the alternate route. There could be some constriction in the tub spout or the diverter is not full open. I would start by removing the tub spout and see how well it flows out the stub pipe.

I wonder if someone didn't install the rough-in valve body upside down. Often, the shower outlet will have a smaller port than the tub spout outlet.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The take off to the tub may be improper. If pex or cpvc was used, you will have that problem. Also, if the house pressure is in excess of 80, it can also cause your symptoms.

delta-tub-spout-install.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The shower arm valves are usually designed so they do NOT turn off completely. That is so you cannot use it to turn the water on and off creating a hot/cold crossover in the faucet which would still be turned on. A plastic line to the spout, excessive copper tubing and fittings between the valve and the spout, or an inverted valve are the most likely causes. I have NEVER seen it happen because of excessive pressure, although I suppose it could under EXTREME high pressure.

Last edited:

jerryb437

Reaction score
I'll be tearing the wall out today so I'll let know. Could very well be a bad install on the rough-in.
Thanks Everbody

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It could also be an upside down valve. Make sure if it's marked for Shower, that it's pointed the right way.

The size of pipe to the tub spout needs to be full size, no PEX there.

k-304-r02.jpg

Last edited:

Hillariusnguyen

Reaction score
Odd that the in-line shut-off didn't work. Must be faulty. They are designed to be able to turn the shower on and off without messing with the temperature adjustment.

Generally how a diverter works is the piping to the shower is always open and simply choking off the tub spout creates enough pressure for the water to overcome gravity and take the alternate route. There could be some constriction in the tub spout or the diverter is not full open. I would start by removing the tub spout and see how well it flows out the stub pipe.

I wonder if someone didn't install the rough-in valve body upside down. Often, the shower outlet will have a smaller port than the tub spout outlet

Last edited:

Hillariusnguyen

Reaction score
It could also be an upside down valve. Make sure if it's marked for Shower, that it's pointed the right way.

The size of pipe to the tub spout needs to be full size, no PEX there.

What will be the result if a K304 is installed upside down?
Can it be reused?

Hillariusnguyen

Reaction score
Looking for a simple fix that may not exist, but here it goes anyway. Got a typical shower & faucet setup. Pull knob on the faucet. I hear people talk about having water flow at the faucet when in shower mode, but I'm having the reverse problem. When in faucet mode, I have water flow coming through the shower head. Thus, a wet head when tring to run water in the tub. I've installed a simple in-line cuttoff at the shower stem to choke off some of the water flow to no avail. Changing shower heads hasn't worked. Is there something else I can try, maybe a pressure valve at the stem instead of a cuttoff??
I am having the same problem right now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks