Toto Ultramax product review, comments & pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Schipperke

Reaction score
Ultra-Max to Eco Max?

Just received Ultramax to install 1.6g. If I put a brick in the tank, would it work like an EcoMax?

skifvr

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with the Utramax II ADA? I have read many good things about the UltraMax but the only place I have seen anything about the UltraMax II is in Consumer Report and they did not like it. Thanks.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of those (Ultramax II) in my home. Great toilets! If I had to buy another toilet right now, that's exactly what I would get (unless I win the lottery and decide to get the $3000 Toto!)

The Ultramax II has the "double cyclone" bowl wash, and a great flush. It is actually kind of amazing to watch it effortlessly remove just about anything you can send its way.

i got the one-piece model and like the look of it and the lack of a gap between tank and bowl. The "MaP" figures show a better capacity for the two-piece, but I haven't had any trouble with the one-piece units getting clogged.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I sell a lot of the Ultramax II toilets, and they work great. I have one in my main bath.
CR put a plug in the toilet they shot video of. Any plumber that sees the CR video will tell you, they plugged the toilet, and then shot the video.
My question is why? Their lawyers have already sent me letters asking me to quit reviewing plumbing products, but guess what, I think a plumber should review plumbing products. I've been in the plumbing business since 1974, it only makes sense.

Here is a video of how my Ultramax II works.

[video=youtube;Xn9_zctMge0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9_zctMge0[/video]

Last edited:

skifvr

Reaction score
ultraMax II

Thank you for your feedback and the information you supply to everyone. I wish i was in Washington state so I could get my toilet from you.

Schipperke

Reaction score
Renovation complete, installed Ultramax Saturday.. not impressed. Plunger was out day #2 .
(couple extra flushes, bowl filled to the rim..)
Someone earlier commented the flush was pathetic, I'd have to agree. Does not last long enough to flush the "waste".
The stoppage was not the result of anything extra ordinary at all....

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Renovation complete, installed Ultramax Saturday.. not impressed. Plunger was out day #2 .
(couple extra flushes, bowl filled to the rim..)
Someone earlier commented the flush was pathetic, I'd have to agree. Does not last long enough to flush the "waste".
The stoppage was not the result of anything extra ordinary at all....

You probably have a partial blockage somewhere downstream from the toilet - perhaps even the wax ring intruding on the toilet flange.

These toilets are very well engineered - the flush volume is designed to only allow part of the water in the tank to enter the bowl, and it comes in quickly, so it can seem like the amount of time and water is not enough - but it certainly is.

The toilet needs be pulled and the cause of the blockage found out. It's not the toilet's fault.

Schipperke

Reaction score
Ultramax flush

Good, Bad, indifferent?

[video=youtube;8XTOA6AhBjk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XTOA6AhBjk[/video]

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The way that clogged it looks like it stopped at the end of the trapway. If you used a wax ring with a plastic horn it could have been pushed off center when the toilet was set, that would cause it to clog like that. Even if it were installed centered properly, those wax rings with the plastic horn seem to make the toilet more clog prone anyway. That's my guess.

Moshe

Reaction score
UltraMax II vs. Eco Ultramax

Hi Terry,
First off, this site is a lifesaver when planning a modular home!

My architect has specified the Eco Ultramax because we decided we wanted the larger 3" valve. However, it doesn't have the double cyclone flushing.

Do you have any insight as to whether the Ultramax II would be a better bet? Would the MaP rating make a difference here?

Thanks so much!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have the MS6041414CEFG Ultramax II upstairs. It cleans the bowl well.
Tall bowl, CEFIONTECT, double cyclone rinse.
I've been selling a lot of them.

The MaP rating is no help with bowl rinse. The guy that runs that test put in a Caroma and then complained that the bowl is dirty. Everyone knows that the Caroma is harder to keep clean.
It does have it's good points, but bowl rinse is not one of them.

The TOTO Ultramax II with 1.28 has been working fine.

Last edited:

Moshe

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. But does the Ultramax II also have a 3" flush valve? Does the Eco version really not clean well due to the lack of the cyclone flushing?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks