voltage drop

Users who are viewing this thread

ugabulldog

Reaction score
Voltage drop was calculated for #10 wire and I am very close (right at) to the max run so I think I will need to size down to #8 wire running 390 ft. to well,....wire in well is 240' of #10 wire, is this ok to mix 8 & 10 to compensate for volt drop?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Actually having the maximum recommended cable length is a good thing. It makes a natural soft starter. #10 wire will go 630' with a 1 HP motor. It doesn't hurt anything to start with #8, except that it won't give you the soft start like 630' of #10 will do.

"Reduced-voltage starters may not be required if the maximum recommended cable length is used. With maximum recommended cable length there is a 5% voltage drop in the cable at running amps, resulting in about 20% reduction in starting current and about 36% reduction in starting torque compared to having rated voltage at the motor. This may be enough reduction in starting current so that reduced-voltage starters are not required."

Heres the link;
http://www.franklin-electric.com/aim-manual/page-36.aspx

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have almost the exact same setup and pump is happy for several years and runs on 239 volts after start up. I may even have a 1.5hp motor on it.

But where is the control box? at the beginning of the run, or at the well head?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't think it will make much difference where the control box is. But I think the starting torque would be less the further away the control box is.

ugabulldog

Reaction score
Actually having the maximum recommended cable length is a good thing. It makes a natural soft starter. #10 wire will go 630' with a 1 HP motor. It doesn't hurt anything to start with #8, except that it won't give you the soft start like 630' of #10 will do.

"Reduced-voltage starters may not be required if the maximum recommended cable length is used. With maximum recommended cable length there is a 5% voltage drop in the cable at running amps, resulting in about 20% reduction in starting current and about 36% reduction in starting torque compared to having rated voltage at the motor. This may be enough reduction in starting current so that reduced-voltage starters are not required."

Heres the link;
http://www.franklin-electric.com/aim-manual/page-36.aspx

That is my problem,...I am a little over 630', by a few feet, so I should go with #8, in fear of burning pump up faster, correct?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks