Review: Cadet 3 EL Flowise Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

chrisf8657

Reaction score
NOTE:
THIS IS FOR A DIFFERNET CADET 3 MODEL FROM ANOTHER REVIEW ON THIS FORUM.

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give my review of a new Cadet 3 EL Flowise model Toilet.

We bought a Cadet 3 EL Flowise Toilet, 12" rough from Lowe's last month. Fourtanently, we have none of the issues that many others had with improper toilet level, etc.

Our toilet was installed in our downstairs bathroom (2-Story house built in 1982). Our previous toilet was a Kilgore 1982-model - decent toilet and we had no intention to replace, except the porcelain around the flush handle broke due to lime buildup when trying to untighten the handle for replacement.

We originally wanted a Champion 4 or a Toto, but due to a overhang marble (pic attached), we were EXTREMELY limited in our options. The regular Cadet 3 1.6g would not fit in height (due to the overhang marble counter). Length/width was not an issue.

The Cadet 3 is higher than the Kilgore by about 1.5 in, making it more comfortable to sit on.

The Installation was done by a Lowe's contractor, and every aspect was watched. The original Wax ring (27+ years old) was still in good condition. Due to the floor being linoleum-tiled, the toilet was both longer in the back, and shorter in the front, than the previous Kilgore, therefore a Double Wax ring had to be utilized until the linoleum is removed sometime in the future because the toilet is NOT seated properly on the concrete slab. due to the linoleum.
I'm sure you all know what I mean.

The Contractor tested the toilet several times to test for leaks, none found. Install done in less than an hour.

Here's the part you are all probably looking for: LOAD TEST!
(WARNING: I AM GOING TO BE VERY FRANK IN THIS SECTION)

This toilet is rated at 1000+ grams...well, some of us, including kids, can load what seems like 2000+ grams easily ;-)

I am on medications for pain, and they cause hard, sometimes LARGE, logs.
Everything I have thrown at this toilet it has FAILED TO CLOG, including 6 inch long solid logs 3/4 the diameter of the outlet. It goes down everytime IF the handle is held down until the tank is empty. I have not tried it without holding the handle down, although I'm sure there would be little difference.

When having Diahrea or loose stool, or a combination of the above & this, however, the bowl usually fails to empty all diahrea contents by very little - only 1-3 very tiny fragments may remain, nothing that can't ben flushed next time - more than likely due to little water usage.

So far, I give this Toilet a 10+.
One thing of note is that our house as built in 1982, and compared to recent homes over the last 12 years, the flange and sewer pipe is HUGE, at LEAST 3.5 inches or more, so it has no problem taking whatever comes from the toilet. I have seen videos on Youtube of a house that has a toilet pipe that appears no larger than a large water pipe (http://www.ehow.com/video_2329608_install-toilet-wax-ring.html) - hardly enough to take down constipation-size fecal matter (I can't believe they are using this size pipe BTW!)

I could clog our Kilgore with what I have thrown at this (the Kilgores are still VERY good toilets - they are 3.5g Flushers), but they have very tight bends like the Mansfield toilets. I must say this new American Standard has EXCEEDED my expectations for Flushability - Quality Control appears OK, nothing exquisite like Toto.

I give it a 10 rating.

Any personal questions feel free to email me at chrisf8657@hotmail.com

Chris

Attachments

• cadet_2835.128.jpg
    cadet_2835.128.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 12,464
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since the average homeowner uses 250 grams when they poop, you should be very proud.
Do you guys save up all week before flushing?

This is what 800 grams looks like, and you say you are flushing two and a half times more then this amount of paste?
Wow! Very impressive.

Toto Drake flushing 800 grams

Last edited:

chrisf8657

Reaction score
Terry, LOL, No, I was just making a joke.
I edited the post to reflect.

I don't even get close to 1000g unless Im REALLY constipated. :)

Last edited:

Jill12345

Reaction score
Chris,
I just bought 2 Cadet 3 Flowise. Before I install, how is the water level in the bowl? I hear a lot of problems about left-over brown streaks in the low flows - especially from my friends with Totos (I realize I am blaspheming here, sorry). Just need some input before I install.
Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are in Canada, then they most likely have the Toto Carouse. I don't even list that model here. The Carouse is a washdown bowl that is a builder grade model with smaller trapway.
That hasn't even been discussed on this web site.

There aren't many builder grade toilets that I like. The toilets listed on the reviews are replacement models that builders don't typically use.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jill12345
It was an answer to a random comment you made based on something you heard, about something you hadn't seen. Nor did you even know the model.
It's like saying

"I hear all Chevy's have four cylinder engines. That's what my friend had."

I think you should install one, and take a picture for us.

Last edited:

Jill12345

Reaction score
Actually, my specific question, if you read it, is about the water level in the bowl of an AS Cadet 3 Flowise toilet. Is it high enough? When the water is low in the bowl, as is the case with some low flow toilets, feces comes in direct contact with the porcelain and sticks, then requiring a brushing. If the water is high enough, it acts as a buffer.

My question was directed at Chris who is actually using one of these toilets, or anyone else who is actually using one.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jill,
I sell and install the Cadet, and have used them many places.
They are a cheap copy of the Drake. If someone doesn't like the Drake, then getting the Cadet is not an improvement.
For someone with little cash, the Cadet can be a good choice.
I would say there is less water surface in the Cadet, if you want to compare to other models and other manufacturers. It does have a good finish in the bowl. It's important to get a bowl with all of the rinse holes operating correctly. Sometimes you can poke them out with a wire.
The reason the plumbers may prefer something else? Time. Do I want to install and trouble shoot? Not really. But as a homeowner, time isn't really an issue. We try to install and get to as many jobs as we can in a day. Spending an afternoon fixing something that should have never left the factory is just not in the cards.
So considering you have a cheap copy of something good, take your chances, and likely it will work fine. If it doesn't, return whatever part you need and try again.
All, and let me repeat this, "all" toilet since 1992 use less water. Unless you are going through someone's trash to find a high gallon model, expect to use a brush, or something for cleaning once in a while. Franky though, most of the bowls out there work pretty well now. And I'm guessing that if you install the Cadet's you have in boxes, it will be just fine.

And yes, we sell the Cadet too. Or to be more precise in this case, the 3.

I do have one customer with daycares, that has tried the Cadet 3 for his kids in his business, but went back to the Drakes, even though they were more money. He still has the two Cadets in use. He's bought about twenty toilets from me.

attachment.php

Last edited:

chrisf8657

Reaction score
Actually, my specific question, if you read it, is about the water level in the bowl of an AS Cadet 3 Flowise toilet. Is it high enough? When the water is low in the bowl, as is the case with some low flow toilets, feces comes in direct contact with the porcelain and sticks, then requiring a brushing. If the water is high enough, it acts as a buffer.

My question was directed at Chris who is actually using one of these toilets, or anyone else who is actually using one.

The water level is good. Most of the matter settles into the large hole at the bottom. Unless you have alot of fecal matter, it has more than enough water.

Streaking problems happen VERY rarely, are usually VERY light, and they typically disappear with the next flush. The ones I have had have been on the bottom near the hole.

I suggest getting the Cadet 3 with the EverClean Surface for that - it helps tremendously. I think the EL Flowise already has it, but you'd have to look on the Box.

I've never used a Toto like Terry recommends, but my opinion is if a Toilet works, it works.

Ian Gills also likes his Cadet 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks