Preventing rust at holes in metal tubs

Users who are viewing this thread

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
Decided to buy a metal bathtub with porcelain coating (American Standard Americast tub). While doing research on tub drains, I saw a post saying that the drain hole in steel tubs sometimes rust badly enough to require replacement of the tub.

Has anyone thought of a way to seal the metal at the drain and overflow holes in new steel tubs prior to installation so they won't rust?

Thanks,
HRG

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Not really a big issue if you are careful, but here are some things to do:

The putty, or silicone, under the drain flange, stops any water from touching the metal edge.

At the overflow, you could touch up any exposed metal edge with the best primer going: www.rustbullet.com

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is NOT a problem with an Americast tub, but IS with a conventional enameled steel tub. Steel rusts when it gets wet, and if the enamel coating on EITHER side of the tub is compromised, usually the back side, the tub WILL rust and deteriorate.

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
Not really a big issue if you are careful, but here are some things to do:
The putty, or silicone, under the drain flange, stops any water from touching the metal edge.
At the overflow, you could touch up any exposed metal edge with the best primer going: www.rustbullet.com
It seems that the drain flange eventually leaks causing rust unless periodic maintenance is done, which I never do. Thanks for the tip about Rust Bullet. I'll buy it and use it.

HRG

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
It is NOT a problem with an Americast tub, but IS with a conventional enameled steel tub. Steel rusts when it gets wet, and if the enamel coating on EITHER side of the tub is compromised, usually the back side, the tub WILL rust and deteriorate.
That's VERY good news about rust at holes not being a problem with Americast tubs. Just to be extra safe I think I'll go ahead and apply Rust Bullet to any exposed steel. My labor is free... ;)

Thanks much,
HRG

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks