T0T0 Drake toilet product review

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"My feeling is, that the problems listed could and probably would have happened with any toilet they installed."

I concur.
They would have those problems with any toilet.
Proper installation is a must.
And any toilet can clog. You have to have a little common sense.
People mention clogs here, and those posts are on the site and answered.
If you have medical issues, then Caroma is a better choice for the less then 1% of the population that suffers that way.
For the rest, you can't use it as a garbage can.

The customers buying from me, using my instructions are getting good results.

The other thing to consider, is it even a Toto "Drake" they are reviewing?
Many plumbers sell the CST703 or the CST723 Carosoe when someone asks for a Toto.
In fact many of those plumbers have never even seen a Drake CST743 or CST744.
Anytime a review mentions splash, it's not the Drake. Perhaps the Carosoe, which frankly I don't even sell.
Without seeing pictures of what they are really reviewing, it doesn't mean much.
Most of my TOTO sales are repeat purchases. But then, I sell the Drake and better, I don't sell the builder grade stuff that other plumbers install.

Last edited:

Tspriggs

Reaction score
Drake is Awesome!

Installed the Drake ADA in the beige color just yesterday. My plumber was impressed with it and he had installed 150 toilets so he said. It is quiet and quick. A costly expense for me at this time but it was worth it. There is also a 1.28 GPF Drake for the same price but I was not sure if it would work as good. Maybe Terry can evaluate it.

DSC00698.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gib323

Reaction score
Amazing!!!

I am so happy with how this toilet works compared to the old Mansfield piece of junk I had in my bathroom. I was wasting so much water and time playing out the plunge-flush-plunge-flush cycle for solid waste. I’ve had the Toto Drake now for about two months, and only in one circumstance did I have to flush it twice. Every other time it was one flush and whoosh it was gone, and I am certain the old toilet would still be plugged. There are great products out there, and this is one of them. It is worth every penny, and I know I am saving money by conserving water, so there is a long-term payback as well. Great design, great looks, great function.

I don’t know why I waited so long to check into this. I am so happy with it that I am considering taking it with me to my next house. But we’ll see about that. Buy this. You won’t be disappointed.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hi Jamie and Terry.

My name is Suzie S and I purchased two Toto toilets from you in May of 2009.

Love them

Just learned that my father-in-law, Jack S, is looking to buy some Toto toilets as well. I gave him your card and told him to give you a call.

He is 80 and hard of hearing. So be patient with him. : )

But he is looking for something very similar to what we purchased (invoice #996899) but likely a taller seat height for ease/comfort with older age.

Just thought I’d give you a heads up. You may be hearing from him soon.

Thanks for your great product and services. We are very happy with our bathroom upgrades.

Thanks,
Suzie.

Reaction score
It's been a year...three Drakes installed

It's been a year since I installed the first of 3 EcoDrakes elongated--(installed one in Sept. and two of them in October '09 IIRC). I can now officially declare them a resounding success. No operational problems whatsoever and we use Northern tissue which is a known clogger.

Previously we had strict rules about TP usage and flush frequency with the old 1994 vintage Gerbers...and they still routinely clogged on me and the kids much too frequently. I actually can't remember where my plunger is anymore. Our water usage is down as a result of the conversion, cutting both water and sewer charges.

I recommend the small adder cost of the CEFIONTECT finish as well...from what I've seen with ours the only stains that require periodic cleaning occur above the water line--it is well worth it.

Thanks, Terry, for the site and information.

Purple Goat

Reaction score
Does ADA height have a better flush?

I am interested in the "normal height" Toto Drake but am wondering if the ADA height would give a better flush. I am interested in the 1.28 GPF. Also, is there any difference in the flushing system or bowl cleaning between the Drake and the Drake II ?

Thank you so much for all of you who have shared your experiences. I've been reading posts for over four hours. Originally was going to get an American Standard Cadet but have become a Toto Drake convert.

Reaction score
When I purchased my Drakes (standard height, elongated) the ADA height had higher MaP scores. The lowest scores were for the round standard height variants of the same toilet. I've had no trouble at all with my non-ADA, elongated EcoDrakes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The water has to fall further on the taller toilets, so all other things being equal, the taller ones have a little more flushing power.

Zuffy

Reaction score
Had my Drake installed last Thursday. I don't know why it took me so long to replace my POS American Standard toilet. I probably have wated 4-5x more water during that timeframe if I had replaced it over a year ago. I will definitely get the Drake 10" rough-in version for my basement if I ever need to replace it.

Thank you Terry for answering my questions and this great forum.

Mcdonaldb

Reaction score
I am about to install my closet flange and wanted to verify this would work with a toto drake toilet, the flange will be on top of the tile and is a Sioux Chief TKO, ABS. I guess my only concern is the height as the flange and the lip will be above tile?

thanks,

closet flange.jpg

Guitarman160

Reaction score
We are needing to replace downstairs and upstairs toilets and are considering the Toto Drake. The downstairs rough in is 12" but the upstairs is only 10". Does Toto have both sizes? Don

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Yes, at least in the Drake...not sure of the Drake II (which is also available - has some nice features). My mother has two Drakes in her house, and especially loves the ADA height on the one she uses most.

Schipperke

Reaction score
I ordered the CST743S , Hope it works. We have older AS and a Kohler here, look mid 1990's 1.6G , they get clogged all the time. Home I moved from I had installed a Crane with the Flushmate 503 , which I loved. Installing a Flushmate again was veto'd , looks like my wife is like your typical client. Was leaning to the Gerber 1.6 FM503, but stopped dead.. Our upstairs bathrooms are very small , hence the round bowl. Do round bowls not flush as well? I have one bathroom I can install an EL

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I bought a Toto Drake (round bowl due to limited space) from a local distributor. It came in two boxes. The toilet bowl is model CST743E#01 and the tank is model CST743S#01. Is this correct? Or should the toilet also be CST743S#01 for a 1.6 GPF to match the tank?

Also, is there a Toto toilet seat that I can buy to match the round toilet? If so, is it comfortable for long duration "thinking"?

Thanks for a great thread,
HRG

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
My doctor told me 3-minutes max...sitting on a toilet seat longer than that and you risk problems...think somewhere else!

HomeRepairGuy

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I bought a Toto Drake (round bowl due to limited space) from a local distributor. It came in two boxes. The toilet bowl is model CST743E#01 and the tank is model CST743S#01. Is this correct? Or should the toilet also be CST743S#01 for a 1.6 GPF to match the tank?
Hi Terry,

Hope you visit this forum and can shed some light on my question. I want to straighten it out with the seller if the bowl should be exchanged for a CST743S model number.

Thanks,
HRG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't seen an S bowl in years. We now carry E bowls and match them with either an S tank or an E tank.
Maybe I should stop in there next week, just to take a look.

cst744s-terrylove-5.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks