OH my...it's toilet seat dilemma time!

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbtired

Reaction score
Through this great forum, I learned about Toto toilets. I bought two Drakes and haven't looked back since (two years ago)...thanks, forum members (and Terry!).

Now I am totally frazzled over the RIGHT toilet seat for these great toilets. I started out with a couple of (elongated to fit the bowls) Kohler soft-close, release hinges style (the Rutledge model). This model of seat drove us nuts...it wobbled and just would not stay aligned on the bowl (esp. on one of the toilet bowls). The bolts were snug but the release feature/soft close feature (hinge setup) provided too much play, I guess.

I complained to Kohler and they sent me a couple of fixed hinge (quiet close is not an option with the fixed hinge for Kohler seats, I was told), NOISY-close seats to replace the two irritating Rutledge seats...at no charge (= kudos to Kohler customer service) for these two Cachet model seats. Obviously, from my previous emphasis upon "noisy," I didn't care for these replacement Kohler seats.

Recently I found an off-brand seat, an Allmax, at my local Costco; it is a quiet-close seat WITHOUT the release hinge feature. I bought two and installed them...they were cheap enough for me to give them a try. These cheaper Allmax seats are much better than the noisy Kohler Cachets and more stable than the much-more expensive Kohler Rutledge release-hinge seats. BUT...these newer, latest (Allmax) seats still wobble about, although bolt-tight to the bowl. In other words, the quiet-close hinge itself has too much play in it, so the seat moves (swings/wobbles/however you prefer to describe it) back and forth as one sits and then rises up off it. Grrr...

I am looking at several brands, including Toto, but all the quiet-close models--except my current odd-ball brand, Allmax--has those awful release hinges...for cleaning purposes, so "they" say. I have read multiple reviews on multiple websites, all of which "love" whichever quiet-close/soft-close brand seat they are reviewing. However, there are always a few reviews complaining about the same thing I am: the wobble (excessive play) in the seats. I notice there are a few wood soft-close seats but the reviews seem to lean to "no good...the soft-close hinge cannot hold the extra weight of the wood" type of comments.

SO...loyal forum members: help! Just what brand and model of (elongated, white) seat would you recommend that has the quiet-close/soft-close feature (but, hopefully, NOT the release hinge feature) and does NOT have excess hinge movement (i.e. move about on the bowl), even though the bolts are snug = TIGHT?

Thanks for your responses.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have 2 Toto soft close seats and they work fine for us. Granted they are not cheap, but they mount easily and stay put. Can't add much to that.

plumbtired

Reaction score
I have 2 Toto soft close seats and they work fine for us. Granted they are not cheap, but they mount easily and stay put. Can't add much to that.
Thanks, Gary Swart, for your input. I'm not worried about the cost. The darned Kohler Rutledges ran around $46 apiece so a $50 Toto seat isn't an issue. I just want a seat that stays put but has that nice quiet-close feature.

cwooden82

Reaction score
I bought a Bemis soft-close seat with the easy-off hinges for my Toto Drake II and I'm loving it. Absolutly no wobble and with two boys whose aim isn't always what it should be, being able to pop the seat off for a good cleaning is imperative.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks