recs for shower heads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sprinter06

Reaction score
Looking for new shower heads (x 2) that are energy efficient, have strong, generous flow and solid performance record. Any brands I should look at more than others?

Thanks in advance for good advice.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Federal codes set a maximum water use for a single showerhead of 2.5gpm...IOW, NO showerhead sold is supposed to use more than that. Now, how they use that, and whether they try to use less to be more ecconomical is a design decision of the manufacturer.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Looking for new shower heads (x 2) that are energy efficient, have strong, generous flow and solid performance record. Any brands I should look at more than others?

Right away, you are in trouble......water saver vs "strong generous flow". Good luck with that one! Now, some heads just 'feel' better than others. And it is very personal how you like it. Some folks like strong needle-like sprays, I prefer the opposite. Most shower heads under $50 will be all plastic, but that doesn't mean they don't last.

I will name 3 that I know some national hotel chains have invested in. ( When Holiday Inn, just to pull out a name, decides to put a certain shower head in every room in every hotel, that is a $5 million decision)

In no particular order, the heads I am referring to are the Kohler Forte, Moen Revolution, and Speakman S2005HB.

Sprinter06

Reaction score
I will name 3 that I know some national hotel chains have invested in. ( When Holiday Inn, just to pull out a name, decides to put a certain shower head in every room in every hotel, that is a $5 million decision)

In no particular order, the heads I am referring to are the Kohler Forte, Moen Revolution, and Speakman S2005HB.

Thanks Jimbo-- will check these out. Speakman is already on my list.

Additional question:
Let's drop "water saver" and add another variable: water hardness (still to be determined: new well but well pump not yet connected).
EG Grohe Rainshower with "SpeedClean anti-lime system"-- does this work or just increase price?

Many thanks.

CleveJeff

Reaction score
The low flow or water saver shower head with the most invigorating spray are the Eco Friendly models manufactured by Speakman. They all retail for $46 but you should be able to find them for under $40. They all feature 40 water streams or jets. The S-2253-E2 uses 2 gallons per minute. The S-2253-E175 uses 1.75 GPM. The S-2253-E15 uses 1.5 GPM. Since they are self-cleaning, dissolving sediment and resisting mineral deposits; they will retain their invigorating spray. Speakman offers a lifetime guarantee on all parts.

http://www.watersavershowerhead.net

Reaction score

There are two that I like: the High Sierra 1.5 gpm variety and the 1.59 gpm Evolve Roadrunner shower heads. These are two different styles, both of them non-aerated. Aerated heads can give a higher flow feeling, but they are less energy efficient because they vaporize more of the water, cooling the stream, so you tend to run the water temp at the shower higher to compensate for the loss. Therefore, I limited my choices to non-aerated varieties.

The High Sierra is an interesting single port nozzle that sends out a single spray in a filled cone pattern. It works well in my kids' showers and I've used it as well and like it, though it is different. I helped the creator work out some flow problems at the higher pressure range on his heads and have been satisfied with the result. My wife prefers the Roadrunner that has a more conventional spray pattern (though also non-aerated.) The High Sierra has more of spray impingement feel while the Roadrunner feels fuller and gentler.

I've heard from others who like "vigorous" showers that the Oxygenics aerated style ultra low flow heads suit them. Some reviewers dislike them because they have more of pin-prick feel. I experienced the latter with the oxygenics in a hotel once, so it is not a fit for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks