Keep on doing what you do

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Terry Love's DIY forum, Oh my word, what a huge source of entertainment this site truly is. Between the self proclaimed experts like Gary Slusser and Valve man who both think that every word they type is the word of god himself, to the virtual non existence of any real or fair moderating or Terry himself having to edit close to 90% of the posts these two idiots make one wonders if there is any valuable information left. But who cares? It's far more fun to watch thread after thread degenerate into name calling antics and the inevitable banning of yet another member. I think we are up to 15 or 16 members now that have fallen to the Slusser axe. Apparently Terry and Gary are either related or Terry has been defending this dufus for so long now that he's afraid to do what he should have done a couple years ago and that's to get rid of the two guys ( valveman and Slusser) that have done the most damage to his pathetic site. Terry says his site is the most visited plumbing site on the web and it probably is. Folks go for entertainment, not for any real useful advice. It's a bit like a soap opera and you really have to follow the site daily and often because stuff gets deleted pretty fast there. One of the best things is the sheer paranoia of everyone involved to the point where they are now pretty much accusing anybody that is a new member of being a troll ( I suspect some are but hey, it's fun ) Terry has shut off private messaging ostensibly because he was "having problems" with the software but the truth is that these paranoid fools think the members are plotting against them LOL can you believe that? Members plotting against.... a plumbing forum? DUH Get a life fellas. Oh no, never mind, keep on doing what you do, it's the most fun site on the web. Not much value as a diy site, but damn entertaining on the whole.
Chelmsford

This post was found on a website, and reposted here by Terry
I don't know who Chelmsford is, I doubt Chelmsford knows who he is either, just another made up name I guess. I get plenty of anonymous postings like this from people that hide behind their keyboards. Terry

troll-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
If you make accusations about people or forums the burden of proof is on you.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gary Slusser has been posting here since, well a long, long time.
https://terrylove.com/search/search.pl if you do a search for Slusser on this link, you come up with some very old posts.

There are some relative newcomers to the Internet, and I guess the question is what do they provide for the homeowner or the DIY.
I see them write that they are all bout DIY, but when someone tries to teach DIY, they get uncomfortable with it. The complaints are from business owners, not the homeowners. What does that tell you?
Have I ever gotten a complaint from a homeowner about Gary?

No.

So is this a DIY problem, or is it the other companies wanting DIY information off the Internet?
Gary has posted thousands of times without a homeowner complaint.

If homeowners are wanting information, I guess we will keep doing what we are doing.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I agree with the OP here that the moderating appears to take sides--it is not evenhanded.
Does it side with accuracy of the info in the posts or the person posting it? The second case means "politics."

Is either case "normal" for Web forums?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gary has been banned from most other forums, and when I go to those forums, there is very little information that is usable.
So why would anyone even use those forums? It beats me.

I believe that those other forums have been shut down. Yes people still ask questions, but how many times do you hear,

"Call your plumber, he will make it work for you"

Well Duh.
Call a plumber. Sweet.
I can do the same thing on this forum. Call a plumber. See how smart that makes me?

Or I can let someone like Gary actually give answers to problems.
Or we can say "Call a plumber."
Hmm.........Let me think.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Gary Slusser--to my observation--has posted things in this forum worse than that posted by others who have been banned. The only explanation that seems to fit is that the moderators are not even handed.

. . . is the tolerance for the bad behavior of Gary Slusser but not tolerance for comparable bad behavior when it is displayed by others.
You might also Google the exact phrase
"Gary Slusser"

When I Google my real name I get far less hits and they are of a different nature.

I've been on a few forums and I would say this situation is unusual. I don't know quite what to make of it. Maybe time will tell.
But I do know if these issues are not thoroughly addressed they will keep coming back.

This subforum is out of my field so I can't say either way about the merits of the complaints.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If someone is a member of a dozen forums, then why do you need to blackball Gary from "every" forum on the Internet. You have gotten Gary banned on the other twelve forums, and want to ban him here. If Gary were to finally be banned from the Internet, then I suppose the rest of you can let the entire thing just disappear. I know that you guys don't like Gary selling his product on the Internet, and that keeps coming up. He no longer can do that on the other twelve forums you post on. Well.....good for you. The way I see it though, is here is a guy that does his best to educate and inform whenever he can.

I am so glad the plumbers are cool. They give me zero problems.
It's just the softener forum.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
09-09-2009 02:27 PM

Re: No More
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by nhmaster

Not gonna do this with you anymore. I am a licensed professional. You are an unlicensed HACK that reads shit on the internet and thinks you are gods gift to the water industry. I've been dealing with you hacks for 30 + years now. Whether you give a crap or not, what you are doing on these forums is unprofessional. You say you are helping the Diy guy but let's not loose sight of the fact that what you are really doing is helping yourself. Keep it up and you will get yourself banned, I will see to it personally. If you don't think I can, then go ahead, try me.

I received that as a PM the beginning of Sept 09 from nhmaster (AKA Guest, Another Voice, Wally Hayes, Peter Griffin etc.).

NHmaster has also stated in the Trades forum here in June/July 09, at least twice, how much he is against DIYers and that plumbers should stop posting on forums to help DIYers. Those posts have been deleted back in Aug-Sept 09.

I just found a copy of that, with the same title/subject. Read the whole thread and you'll see a number of plumbers that used to post here; and why they don't anymore.
http://www.plumbingzone.com/f2/ok-ive-had-enough-4376/

OK, I've had enough Times are tough out there. So tough that a lot of long established plumbing companies are either laying off significant portions of their staff or closing the doors completely. Enrollment in plumbing apprentice classes is down better than 50% nation wide from a couple years ago. Salaries are down or frozen, benefits are hard to come by. A once proud and lucrative trade is slowly dying. So here we are on these DIY forums, freely giving advice and years of knowledge and experiance to homeowners, contractors, handymen, hell any schmuck thats asks us nicely. WHY? why in gods name are we so damn willing to sell out our trade and lively hood just so that we can stroke our ego's ? See me everyone. I'm so smart. I know all the answers. I'll lead you through your whole re-model for FREE. Well no more for me. The only thing anyone is getting from me on other forums is "call a professional" or humerous remarks. I for one am tired of sticking the knife into my own damn back. I've had this discussion with others before and those that defend thier actions always give the same lame excuse. " They are going to do it anyway, so why not help them out" Know what? Probably right. But I would prefer to let them DIY and F*&% it all up so that one of us has to go in and fix it.

Protect your trade, think before you buy

He has gone to all the forums I post in and done his best to get me banned. IIRC he has failed everywhere. He has been successful in getting anything that could be wildly considered as "advertising" removed from my posts or the posts deleted.

He has also contacted many plumbers here and seems to be successful in getting them to stop posting here.

Andy CWS (AKA Chevy427, big dripper, etc. ect. etc.) has done the same thing at many forums. That started in 2002 IIRC.

They report post and otherwise whine and complain to mods and admins like little kids and do their best to get me banned. As Barney Franklin (AKA Bob999) has here along with Water Dude (AKA Skip Wolverton, biermech etc.).

ps. all the AKAs have been banned here with about 4+ years of Andy's (AKA checvy427) posts having been deleted. And I have not been banned from a dozen forums.

TWEAK

Reaction score
Well, I like Gary and find his posts to be informational and helpful. There are others on the softener forum that are also helpful, too... but Gary is pretty consistently good and helpful. I've seen others escalate differences of opinion as much as he has... all a shame. But overall Gary is a strong resource. If anyone doesn't appreciate him or his posts, it's the internet... just click on past.

I have to wonder what the real point of this thread was. Just to pick at the guy? That's just plain poor.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I have been banned from this place too because of Gary's antics. The guy has no right telling people how a water well should be repaired unless he has the right experience in the well business. I got banned because Gary started complaining about the advice that i gave to a homeowner about having his well properly inspected by a professional instead on treating the water. The guy had surface water entering his well everytime it rained. In the well business that is a red flag that there is cross contamanation ocurring and the problem should not be treated with conventional water treatment. Gary was totally offended by my suggestions and started a rant campaign against me. Because the moderator had no clue on the subject, he tossed me and kept the culprit. Another time a guy had a similar problem with his water being discolored and he had a big opening in the ground where surface water was pouring down along the well casing contaminating his well. I gave him sound advice on how a well should be sealed and Gary went on to tell the guy to just place bags of salt around the opening. That would be the kind of advice that you would get from someone that hasnt spent the proper amount of time in the trade and advice like that is why people are licensed in this trade.

I am a licensed well driller and know how wells should be properly connstructed and repaired. I wonder what Terry would do if he was on his plumbing forum and some unlicensed plumber started questioning his advice on how something should be done to code especially if it means putting someones health at risk. In my opinion the moderators that are here should be licensed and certified on the trade the forum is about or else people just get tossed for arguing. How can you properly moderate a forum unless you know everything about the trade. If they had a clue as to what the argument was about the proper actions will be taken.

waterwiz
My right to tell people is covered under the 1st amendment.

Bags of salt!! LOL You can do a search and show us where that was proposed.

What I said was to back fill and cover the back fill with buried empty salt bags (read heavy duty plastic) about a foot or two under the surface and then plant grass.

DIYers are allowed to use water treatment equipment to 'fix' their poor water quality from their private residential wells in the vast majority of the US if not the entire US. You don't think they should and argued against it and got into personal attacks as you are now. If the DIYers didn't want to DIY, they wouldn't be here asking how to do it or what to do; the assumption is they already know how to call a well driller and don't need to post on a forum to be be told to call any driller; while you said they should be calling only NGWA certified drillers and only WQA certified water treatment dealers.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
He has gone to all the forums I post in and done his best to get me banned. IIRC he has failed everywhere. He has been successful in getting anything that could be wildly considered as "advertising" removed from my posts or the posts deleted.

He has also contacted many plumbers here and seems to be successful in getting them to stop posting here.

Andy CWS (AKA Chevy427, big dripper, etc. ect. etc.) has done the same thing at many forums. That started in 2002 IIRC.

They report post and otherwise whine and complain to mods and admins like little kids and do their best to get me banned. As Barney Franklin (AKA Bob999) has here along with Water Dude (AKA Skip Wolverton, biermech etc.).

ps. all the AKAs have been banned here with about 4+ years of Andy's (AKA checvy427) posts having been deleted. And I have not been banned from a dozen forums.[/QUOTE]

Nobody stopped posting here because of that post. Though since you say they did, in your mind it must be so but rather than postulate on that theory why not head on over to the zone and just ask them outright. Furthermore, while you are asking you might ask how many of them I cajoled into stopping their posts here, the answer would be none. You have this paraniod notion that we are all plotting against you somehow. We are not now and never have. Your proplems are all self induced. You tried to pull your usual crap at DIY Chatroom a couple of months back and the moderators did their job and shut that down, though they did not ban you did they? And, now, you don't post there anymore because you know the mods won't put up with your crap.

Thanks for re-posting that post. Note that it was posted in the Trades Only forum which is not visable to the regular non professional membership. It was also posted a PZ, another trades only forum. It was and still is a pretty good article on one of the many problems facing the plumbing trades today. It is a valid point of view and it is shared by a good many LICENSED PLUMBERS. And note that the thread was rolling along just fine with a lot of constructive talk until you decided to jump in and muck it all up as usual. Note also that it is because of your ability to AGITATE ( your favorite word) that you time and time again manage to drive members to the point where they say things that probably should have not been said. Read into it what you will, you had no business in that discussion in the first place because you are not and never have been a LICENSED PLUMBER or licensed professional.
Was it 35 yrs as a plumber (in daddy's plumbing business), most as a master plumber, 5 yrs teaching kids plumbing and 15 yrs as a plumbing inspector and codes guy with gas certification, in like 5 States I think you've said, and you can't get a handle on quoting correctly!! And you get all emotional and sound like you've had too many adult beverages by noon like a lot a old bald guys with beer bellies do. LOL

Seriously, you lied about being Wally Hayes (he's my brother remember?) and Peter Griffin..... and wanting to get me banned. Why should anyone believe anything you say now after being banned as Wally Hayes, and Peter Griffin? Frankly I don't believe you're from NH, Maine or MA.

Ya lost on your threat to get me banned ya big dummy. Go back to PZ, or any of Nathan's sites etc. and BS good plumbers into not helping DIYers and run themselves into a bad local PR problem. Cost him money because DIYers don't show up on his forums because of the anti-DIY stance there. You can talk about your problems here and me to your heart's content

Bob999 (AKA barney franklin).... et al, many if not all forums capture poster's IP addresses, some show them to the public on every post. Hint, many if not all forums can ban IPs and ISPs/hosts/domains if needed; and if you don't like it here, you're free to leave, or not post here, or to not come back before you're not able to come back. It's your choice and your sole responsibility for any choice you choose to make. It will be your sole responsibility for a choice that has to be made for you by others because of what you've said here.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
AKA Bob999 TWEAK--if you go back to the beginning of the thread I think it is pretty clear that the point of the thread is dissatisfaction with the moderation on the board. The treatment of Gary Slusser as compared to other posters is the basis for the dissatisfaction with the moderation.

The fact that Gary Slusser chose to post--and say nothing about the moderation but to again attack other posters--past and present--just demonstrates why the tolerance of his behaviour is such a sensitive point.
I say it is more about dumping on me because Peter Griffin was banned (again) but, when you report posts like you have Bob, sooner or later someone contacts the 'violator' and asks questions and/or makes statements concerning banning etc. if things don't change.

When I was contacted, due to you reporting my posts, I took the time to calmly and accurately discuss your sensitivities and show that it was you that got personal by name calling etc.. BTW, I used your posts to do that.

I've done the same with a number of those that have been banned here in the last 18+/- months. So I, and obviously Terry and mods see it as your and their own words being responsible for whatever happened to you and them.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Gary, you just dont backfill around well casing that is allowing surface water to enter a well, there is a proper procedure to it. That is my point, there is much more to it than what you assume, and i remember what you said there is no need for me to go back on anything because it would just give me a headache. I dont care what kind of well work other people do, i only do it the right way so if someone is going to ask my opinion on an issue such as surface water entering a water well, then i will tell them to contact a professional to have it inspected and sealed properly. They should in fact hire someone that is licensed and qualified because most out there have to go by strict guidelines. If some out there dont do it the way it should be done, it doesn't mean that we all do it wrong. You seem to twist and turn things until people just get fead up with you to a point where they start ripping into you and that is your strategy because you know the moderators know nothing about how certain well issues should be resolved but they wont put up with the arguing.

waterwiz
I didn't tell the guy to do this'er that, I said he could do it and here's how. And when you answer an OP's question, you can tell him anything you want to tell him but, your problem came from you telling me how wrong I was for saying how I might or would do it if it was mine, as you are again right now. And there is no law or code etc. against me doing that. As far as I know, as yet, the OP gets to make up his own mind of what and how to do whatever he decides to do on his property in that situation. And this certainly is not about you going out to his house and doing it for him where you have to follow certain codes, restrictions etc.. Your problem is you being anti-DIYer with statements like this; "They should in fact hire someone that is licensed and qualified".

And yes I called Another Voice (AKA nhmaster, wally Hayes, Peter Griffin, Guest) A LIAR because he is and I can prove it. psssst.... the bald fat stuff, a... that was a joke sammy. And for all I know, he may be lying about growing up in his daddy's plumbing business, or, even being a plumber. He may be a baker, or a plumber wannabe; you do know he's anonymous right?

Suggestion, why don't y'all get together like you do here and go start your own forum, you can run it anyway ya want? $3 a month or less for hosting and the software is free if you use like pHpBB3 etc.. Send me the url and I can post for a while to get it going for you sensitive types. You could call it (note I didn't say ya have to) www.garysbitchers.us

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
It is yet another typical indication of how you treat people and the results that you always seem to get. I will damn well quote any way I wish and if you don't like it then don't read it. But I'm glad that you%2
I guess you're saying I am a good salesman with me gittin' ya do what I want'n all.

%2? You're all emotional again'n obviously can't see the keyboard.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I come to find out that the movie "Cool Hand Luke" is a mandatory must-see for managers so they know how to handle the Luke types in their ranks.

This thread should be a mandatory must-read for forum admins & newbies, "you betcha'!"

Last edited:

Joe Six Pack

Reaction score
I can't remember what cool hand luke did. That was a movie? So how did the handle cool luke? and why did they say he had a cool hand. Don't the mean hot hand. I hear people say, he's got a hot hand. They say that for basketball, i've heard themsay that.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Barney Franklin ( mailto:***ofiler@yahoo.com ) has reported this post:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?39128&p=278533#post278533

This is the reason that the user gave:
This post contains a quote that has been doctored by Gary Slusser
Bob999 (AKA barney franklin) when you report a post, make sure to read the original post and pay attention so you get it right. As we see below, another voice (AKA nhmaster et al), edited out what I quoted after I quoted it. Also, note that he blames me for what he types and how he types it.

Here is a copy of the edited part.
.... I will damn well quote any way I wish and if you don't like it then don't read it.
Last edited by another voice; Today at 03:27 PM. Reason: Gary

Now reading your report claiming that I doctored a quote.... liar liar comes to mind, but it isn't any of your business anyway.

I'm thinking you shouldn't remain here much longer.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I come to find out that the movie "Cool Hand Luke" is a mandatory must-see for managers so they know how to handle the Luke types in their ranks.

This thread should be a mandatory must-read for forum admins & newbies, "you betcha'!"
I always tended to favor Luke more than The Boss...

What we got here is failure to communicate.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Terry,

A thread gets opened by an Originating Post, and an Originating Poster.

If you direct people to write to the OP only, and not to write about other people's answers, you will solve a number of problem with this one tactic. This means that replies will contain the word "you" to refer to the OP and not to someone else whose previously-posted reply may be perhaps in error.

I side with the OP here and I hope you implement something different in 2011.

DAvid

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks