Router installed...what it this message

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
OK...I successfully installed a wireless router ( only took one quick call to india.). So the desk top is wire connected to the router and the laptop is wireless.

On the desk top, I keep getting this message: wants to install outside of security area:

C;\program files\d-link toolbar\dlinkTbserver.exe

d-link of course is the router brand. the above ditty says name is waol, publisher AOL LLC.

I have clicked the " do not show this box again" but it keeps coming back . Is this something I should just let it go ahead and do it, or how do I make it stop annoying me!

Augusta

Reaction score
Don't let it install. It will put a bunch of annoying AOL garbage on your computer. When I get home later tonight, I'll see if I can get you a registry location from which you can delete it so as to prevent it from coming up repeatedly.

Congrats on the wireless router install. Make sure your router encryption is on and that you set a password/key to keep your neighbors from mooching.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks very much. Yes, I opted for WPA security level, whatever that is, and have a key and a password. The laptop was a little problem at first, because it aske for the "key" and didn't recognize it, but I tried the "password" created during the call with india, and that got me on.

jasonbaur

Reaction score
OK...I successfully installed a wireless router ( only took one quick call to india.). So the desk top is wire connected to the router and the laptop is wireless.

On the desk top, I keep getting this message: wants to install outside of security area:

C;\program files\d-link toolbar\dlinkTbserver.exe

d-link of course is the router brand. the above ditty says name is waol, publisher AOL LLC.

I have clicked the " do not show this box again" but it keeps coming back . Is this something I should just let it go ahead and do it, or how do I make it stop annoying me!

Hey, if this keeps popping up C;\program files\d-link toolbar\dlinkTbserver.exe , then it means its already been installed on the system you can remove it go to the control panel/add remove programs , and uninstall the toolbar so it doesn't keep bugging you. I also would recommend changing the security on the router to WPA2 which is a newer version of WPA & more secure.

Augusta

Reaction score
From your choice of words it sounded as though the toolbar was not installed. I'm assuming you don't see the toolbar in your browser, and that you don't see it in "add/remove programs." Confirm that much and we can take it from there.

Concerning the security, I highly doubt there will be anyone trying to get at your data at home with such tenacity that switching from WPA TO WPA2 would be worth 5 minutes of effort (assuming your other wireless devices will even support it). Even with WPA2, your data can be had. If you know how to sniff WPA, you can sniff WPA2 with just slightly more effort. If you take it that far, you may as well disallow broadcasting of your SSID as well. I take security that far on wireless networks only where confidential data is being stored and/or transmitted (i.e. Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, bank accounts, etc.).

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Actually, I DO see it on list of programs. ( Past tense now...I uninstalled it. ) Will see if the issue recurs. Don't know what that tool bar would have been, or if I needed it! I will do all the banking, etc , on the desktop which is hardwired to the router. Is that OK, security wise? The lap top will just be routine internet browsing by wifey.Appreciate all the feedback. They PROMISED me in 1980 that computers would do amazing things in the years to come, and would become easier to use! One out of two aint bad!!!!!!!!!

jasonbaur

Reaction score
Actually, I DO see it on list of programs. ( Past tense now...I uninstalled it. ) Will see if the issue recurs. Don't know what that tool bar would have been, or if I needed it! I will do all the banking, etc , on the desktop which is hardwired to the router. Is that OK, security wise? The lap top will just be routine internet browsing by wifey.Appreciate all the feedback. They PROMISED me in 1980 that computers would do amazing things in the years to come, and would become easier to use! One out of two aint bad!!!!!!!!!

Glad you found it and removed it , wasn't something you needed no worry's usually toolbars within your webrowser from ad company's like AOL etc.

Yea hardwired or direct connection always safer and typically much faster connection cant be beat.

jasonbaur

Reaction score
From your choice of words it sounded as though the toolbar was not installed. I'm assuming you don't see the toolbar in your browser, and that you don't see it in "add/remove programs." Confirm that much and we can take it from there.

Concerning the security, I highly doubt there will be anyone trying to get at your data at home with such tenacity that switching from WPA TO WPA2 would be worth 5 minutes of effort (assuming your other wireless devices will even support it). Even with WPA2, your data can be had. If you know how to sniff WPA, you can sniff WPA2 with just slightly more effort. If you take it that far, you may as well disallow broadcasting of your SSID as well. I take security that far on wireless networks only where confidential data is being stored and/or transmitted (i.e. Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, bank accounts, etc.).

Yea I use mac filtering myself but ya if someone really wants in that wont stop them.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This has been a very helpful thread for me. Thanks to all for the help.

My computer was doing a few strange things lately regarding sleep, etc. I noticed that the router install had installed a Macafee system scanner of some kind. I think it was competing with the Russkie ( Kaspersky Internet Security 2010), so I uninstalled the macafee, and things are better.'

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks