Maximum number of shower heads on a inch and half plumbing drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Good Morning men.

I'm wondering about the max number of fixtures that can be hooked up to an inch and half drain line.

The existing shower had only a single fixture and the client wishes to install three body jets, one rain head and one hand held.

The supply lines are 1/2" Pex and the drain is roughly 4' from the main 4" stack...

Any advice?

Thanks

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "proper" answer is NONE, because most codes call for a 2" drain in shower units. Therefore, one would be the maximum, assuming the drain is working perfectly.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
1.5" is the size (shower drain pipe diameter) they use in Canada.

With three body jets, one rain head and one hand held, the total amount of water flowing when they are all "ON" is __X__. John, only you can get this number. You add the numbers and get a total.

1/
Is this higher than the capacity of the supply pipe? (Will the supply even be able to give this much water?

2/
Is this higher than the capacity of the drain? Is this higher than the capacity of the drain COVER grille?

You work it out and tell us what you find, if you wish. But no matter what people respond with, you will already have your answers. Got it? All OK so far? John, when you add up the GPM (in Canadian gallons or in liters), you may want to convert to US Gallons after that. Then find out the carrying capacity of a 1.5" pipe and a 2" pipe, in US gallons. Canadian gallons are almost the same size, but not exactly. It might become an important detail. Best to use units that aren't approximations of other units. The same units everywhere.

From that point on, you know what to do and you don't need to post on this tread so that people can post back to "confirm" what you already found out. Either your 1.5" pipe can carry the water or it won't. Either the Pex (based on its inside diameter) will provide enough water to feed all these spouts or not.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Seems the code varies a bit from North Vancouver to Vancouver and also is based on the number of Thermostatic / PRV valves. I can use a 1 1/2" line with one PRV but need to upgrade to 2" line. We sent the camera snake down between the slab and suites ceiling below and it looks like we can back off a MJ fitting and switch it out to 2" in the end.

I'll make a point of stopping by Vancouver's City Hall tomorrow or Thursday and check this out as well - just in case.

JW

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
What's this got to do with anything? Stop trying to make yourself feel good, stop self-promoting, stop tossing out all the key words needed to find you in a web search, stop changing the subject, and go do what you're told to do. Add a few numbers. People who might hire you need to know that you are able to perform active listening, that you can understand what you read, and that you don't respond to a minor difficulty by bringing up a new subject. All OK?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
"What's this got to do with anything? Stop trying to make yourself feel good, stop self-promoting, stop tossing out all the key words needed to find you in a web search, stop changing the subject, and go do what you're told to do. Add a few numbers. People who might hire you need to know that you are able to perform active listening, that you can understand what you read, and that you don't respond to a minor difficulty by bringing up a new subject. All OK?"

This has to do with researching the subject I am most passionate about. The confusion in and around the subject of channel drains runs very deep. There is countless garbage information and garbage posts online.

I find by discussing these points in an open forum I get much more insight to work off.

I use keywords to target my pay per click advertising. I discuss and install channel drains every week here in Vancouver.

I discussed these channel drains in great length this past week at the Health Care Design Conference. Many of the Health Care industries top people where there. So was Stanford University. Holt Architecture and on and on... Lots of questions. I answered a ton of them. Many I could not. The plumbing codes are multi levelled and vary by state and province. I'm working on understanding them all - only then will I have all the answers...

I listen. I learn. I practice. I install.

All OK?

Regards,

John Whipple
Channel Drain Installations

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks