cloudy glasses out of the dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
and cloudy water out of the hot water tap.

Is there some way to fix this without replacing the water heater?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Pour some of that cloudy water in a clear glass...
Does it slowly clear from the bottom to the top?

Cookie

Reaction score
oh oh, Red, does your glasses get cloudy when the water heater is going? Plus, my heater sounds like a bunch of marbles at times. You can lie if you want, :)

Cookie

Reaction score
I can take it trust me, lol. I have a warranty through my gas company it covers everything with a water heater, even lunch. :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Cookie the sound you are hearing says your water heater should have been flushed long ago...

Cookie

Reaction score
Yep. But, now since it is 15/16 years old, I think I will leave it alone. Just replace it when it goes. But, would that explain why my glasses are smoky looking? Just knowing what to tell company, :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it becomes clear after sitting, it could be air entrapment and has no effect on how your glasses look coming out of the DW. Some DW detergents will do that after long-term use as many are quite caustic. That's one reason they tell you to not put certain things in the DW. If you have hard water, it could be long-term buildup. Do you use a rinse agent?

Try using some CLR on one of the cloudy glasses to see if it clears up. Or, soak it in some vinegar for a couple of hours...see if it looks different after you rinse and dry it off.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Back in the day, my parents always rented their water heater from Essex County Gas. Sure, over the years that added up to a lot of $$, but it was no worries, mate. If it went out, they had a new one WITHIN THE HOUR!!!! Priceless!

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
It's usually better to self-insure if you have the cash. Companies have to add admin costs to their calculation of likelihood-of-a-warranty-repair x cost-of-that-repair.

Cookie

Reaction score
I have belonged to this program for several years now, and have used especially, the electrical several really, many times, again, just recently. I never had to pay a dime out of pocket. This is really cheaper than going to the doctor. I added the water heater a couple of months ago, since it is getting older. You can do that. Perfectly fine to. I consider this a great service considering the price of gas. It is well worth the buck a week for the water heater program.

I could do the electrical myself, but then I don't have the time or desire and this way it is done to specs, that I might not be aware of. They have pretty much rewired half my house and replaced, almost every ceiling fixture, and outlet. All for I think, 3.25 a month. Plus, I get the same electrician and he is the greatest man. I really like him.

homer777

Reaction score
I had a cloudy glass problem, It was when i switched to Earth dish powder. I had to clean the glass with CLR to get of the residue.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yeah, I tried scrubbing all mine by hand, but to no success. I might try the vinegar, I think HJ suggested. That might work. I use Cascade and I am pretty good about using the right amount but, can't hurt to try cutting back or using another kind either.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
They have pretty much rewired half my house and replaced, almost every ceiling fixture, and outlet. All for I think, 3.25 a month.
I think you have beaten the odds. Assuming a lump sum of several thousand to do all this, for each of 'you' there must be 10 or 20 other policyholders who have never filed a claim.

Cookie

Reaction score
I always beat the odds. Quoting my dad, " you are smarter than you look." :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks