Will toilet trap size help with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

n2learning

Reaction score
Twice a week my 13 year old son clogs the toilet with football size poop! The plunger no longer works, so we have to bust out the auger. He knows he needs to chop and scoop and whatever, but that never happens....and I'm tired of the arguments and the auger.

Our only toilet is Elijer 1.6 gallon.
I don't know how big the trap size is, but I would like to replace this with a toilet that has a larger trap size.
I hope that will help our problem.

Any recommendations for toilets that have a larger trap size?
Cost is a big consideration.

Thanks!

Cookie

Reaction score
The toilet with the largest trapway is a Caroma Caravel, they have 3 inch trapway. I highly recommend this toilet for people with that problem.

They are between 4 and 500.00 but, they are the only one with a trapway that size.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That should resolve it, but a little more roughage, causing more frequent evacuations (and thus more normal) would be both healthier and not cost a thing! I know it's hard to get teenagers to eat well, but a little more fruits, vegetables, and maybe some Metamusil on a regular basis would resolve it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe it's time your 13 year old learned now to unclog toilets, and maybe it's time your took charge in a more forceful way. I know kids that age often are seemingly impossible, but you are the adult. Obviously, if there is a real medical condition, that does change the picture, but your original statement did not indicate that to be the case.

tonyblaze

Reaction score
Same Concern

Believe it or not my 9 year old daughter is causing the same problem with waste of a size that makes me cringe. Doctor stated there were no medical issues. Are the Caroma models a better choice than the Toto with this issue?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Caroma is the only bowl with a 3" and larger trapway.

Most other toilets are 2-1/8" down to 1-5/8"
2-1/8" works for 99% of the population, but when there is a condition where you have abnormally large stools, then something like the Caroma is better.
You may be able to get a pressure assist (Gerber Ultraflush) to work, they have a 1-7/8" trapway, but a higher pressure jet that can knock things apart.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wonder if the problem is the Elijer toilet. These are not the best performing toilets. Could be a flaw in the trap causing the clogs. The Caroma has a large trap way, but it has the reputation of splashing.

Cookie

Reaction score
Believe it or not my 9 year old daughter is causing the same problem with waste of a size that makes me cringe. Doctor stated there were no medical issues. Are the Caroma models a better choice than the Toto with this issue?

Not enough of water in the diet is usually the culprit. Kids or people in general, tend to drink more water if bottled water is on hand in the fridge. This might help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks