Hey! I never woudla thought of that: your ideas for plumbing EXTRAS in a remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
Doing a complete high-end remodel of a home incl all new plumbing. We've got all the basics covered but what are some ideas for "cool stuff" we could add while we're at it? One easy example is a pot-filler (which we will do). What other ideas do you have or recommend? (We're thinking about a bar sink and/or an instant hot water faucet.)

What say you?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I love the instant hot water dispensers.
Moen sent me a multi-head shower set up; should get me in and out quicker.
It even has a remote to control it with.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A bidet is nice. A second dishwasher. Use one for dish storage, and as they get used, populate the second and alternate dirty/clean as one gets filled. Less cabinet space is needed for the dishes and glasses, and if you have a party, you can wash it all at one time in both. Use one of the hot/cold mixing outside hose bibs: Moen and others make them. Makes it nice washing the dog or car, or hook up to a showerhead for when the kids are really grody before you let them in the house.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
How about a hot water recirculation system. That gives you virtually instant hot water at every fixture and it save water especially on the longer runs from the water heater.

Cookie

Reaction score
If space allows what I would like would be a hot tub off the bedroom, or a shower with 2 shower heads for 2 people to share; or an indoor wave swimming pool. I would also, like a water fountain outside which would replenish a bird bath. I would also like a pond with a water fountain.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you go with two dishwashers, all you need are a pair of stacked "dishwasher in a drawer" models, since neither will need a lot of capacity. If you go with multiple shower heads, do it before the "one 2.5 gpf head per shower stall" rule goes into effect.

DavidTu

Reaction score
If you go with multiple shower heads, do it before the "one 2.5 gpf head per shower stall" rule goes into effect.

When does that go into effect? What do you have to have done before the rule to be grandfathered?: e.g. permit application, purchase, installation, inspection?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Bollards to protect outdoor plumbing from lawnmowers. Remember that one anyone?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually, it has already been "put in effect", pending approval of the document. The requirement was "buried" deep inside it, and almost passed without discussion. The manufacturers are trying to get it modified, at least to allow multiple devices for handicapped installations. There will be a hearing on it soon, possibly next month. After that it depends on when the effective date is established.

TWEAK

Reaction score
In addition to the pot filler....

1. Pasta sink next to range/cooktop. Very cool, saves you (or the missus) from carrying a heavy pot to the sink. If no room, you can gt a specialty pasta pot but it doesn't have as much wow factor.
2. Water softener (ion exchange, using NaCl or KCl, not the scam ones) to keep everything cleaner, except use hard water for irrigation and hose bibs that service the garden. I also like hard water to the icemaker/cold water dispenser because I prefer the taste of water with the minerals in it.
3. Put one soft water hose bib in the driveway for car washing - no water spots.
4. Instant hot water.... I prefer an mini tank under the sink (I use a Bosch/Ariston - works great - just change the anode every year) over a recirculating system. If you go with recirc, though, think about the setup that doesn't mix hot and cold water (i.e., has a separate return line). Hot water tanks have higher bacteria content - do you want that in your cold (drinking) water?
5. Wall mounted lav faucets. Much easier to keep clean.
6. Even if you decide against the bidet seat for now... put it the electrical outlet "just in case".
7. Humidity-sensing bathroom vent fan - with low "sone" rating. I wired the nightlight option in mine to a photocell instead of a switch so that the night light comes on automatically. Also, for $5 you can use an LED bulb in place of the four watt nightlight bulbs that always burn out.
8. Not plumbing, but put electrical outlets in the medicine cabinet for your electric toothbrush charger, etc. That way you don't see the cord clutter on the vanity counter.
9. Stainless restaurant kitchen type prep sink in the garage, if you work in there. Use a foot or knee operated faucet. Also useful in the laundry room or mud room.
10. If your kitchen design is one of those styles that looks like a commercial restaurant kitchen, consider a foot faucet in there, too.
11. I like a counter-mounted air switch for the disposal instead of the typical wall mounted light switch.
12. If you have a pool or spa, an outside shower with a some sort of instant hot water service.
13. An outdoor sink as part of the grill/outdoor kitchen installation.
14. Run the grill off of natural gas... no refilling the propane tank.
15. Drip irrigation on its own timer zone - or more than one if your garden requires it - in addition to the lawn sprinklers.
16. Plumb the rain gutter downspouts to run underground out to the street... away from the foundation.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
IHW. 1/2 gal. or 5/8 gal.
small sink near potfiller + big single sink for cleanup + prep sink +
Filtered water.
Chiller, not in fridge.
Floor drains.
Chest freezer, that requires defrosting (therefore is passive cooling, no freezer burn).
2 small DW.
Put a 20 gal tank near the kitchen, and a 40 gal near the bathroom.

Agu

Reaction score
Since you're in a climate that can handle it, I'd highly recommend a utility sink in the garage with a hand held sprayer. Once you have one you'll wonder how you lived without it.

Next project is an outdoor shower .......... no more tracking crud through the house after a messy/stinky project.

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
Here's a few that I run into quite frequently;
Doggie shower in garage and/or mudroom
Clothes washers in Master bedrooms, or on every level of the house
His and hers Master Bathrooms, complete with all the things that each gender loves (magazine racks, built in tv, gray marble and chrome decor, multi head HUGE shower complete with ever so cool trench drain and an automatic water wash slab of stone used as a urnial, for him. Hers had a steam shower with multi head auto function, bidet, white marble EVERYTHING, heated floors, built in pedicure/foot massage chair, large soaking infiniti tub with european fill, towel warming oven, tv and 20' high atrium ceiling.) SHEESH! You walk down the Hall into an open foyer, on the left was his and on the right was hers, no doors. Kinda cool but strange at the same time. The bedroom had a 10' high fountain in the middle of foyer.
I'm also staring to see more built in counter steamers in the kitchen.
And don't forget the Meile built in coffee station. A must have for today's rich people.

davit

Reaction score
Install a wall-carrier toilet mount. The tank is hidden in the wall and there's nothing to clean around on the floor.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 391

Khayes

Reaction score
When we remodeled our kitchen I added an air-activated garbage disposal switch in the counter top. No more flipping a wall switch with wet hands!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks