Gould jet pump humming tripping breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Casey56

Reaction score
I have a Gould j10s 1Hp that just keeps humming and tripping the breaker. I had a leak the night before and replaced some of the piping but the pump won't run. I replaced the pressure switch and took hte back off the pump to see if it turned easy and it does, but neither helped the humming or breaker issue. Can someone please help I just lost my job a few weeks ago and am having major medical issues so if I can fix it myself it would be great Thanks

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
9/10 times, humming pump means burnt up motor. If it does spin freely, u could try a new capacitor but most likely you will need a new motor.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
You can find some cheap ACE pumps on the big auction site, usually "refurbished" meaning returns to Lowes

i would hate to see you replace that j10 with a cheap hardware pump. before i did that, i would buy a new motor from the hardware somewhere and install it on the j10. those are good pumps.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If he has no money and medical issues, an ACE or FLOTEC pump might keep him in water for years. I doubt he has the abilities to swap the motor. If he does, they [motors] are all about the same level of bad, so he could buy the cheap pump for the motor and toss the pump head. I have bought Flotec submersibles with new franklin motors [one level of good] just to get the motor - much less than a new motor from any store.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
neither flotec or water ace motors will swap to a j10. i just know what a good pump that goulds is, hate to see it replaced by one of those cheap pos pumps. i guess you gotta do what you can afford and do yourself though, so good luck with it all.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I have replaced many pump motors, trying to save some old iron. Beware of the frame # with a 'sp' at the end. 'special' ; [we made a special effort to screw you!] it means they used a special parameter and the shaft [with motor attached of course] will be custom and will only come from their parts house - usually 275$ for a 250$ pump.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Before I purchased a pump or motor I'd check the starting switch in the rear to see if it's burnt or stuck in the running position. If it appears ok I would replace the capacitor. Burn't out motors usually smell burnt.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
He probably fixed it already but good point. I have some booster pumps that throw off their springs on the start switch at regular intervals.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks