deep well pump vibration

Users who are viewing this thread

NathanY

Reaction score
Hello I have a goulds deep well pump that is putting out a vibration which can be heard througout our entire house. I can even hear it at the well casing. The pump is about 3 years old but we have only had the house for 2.5yrs so I do not know if it did it since installed but it has done it since we have lived in the house. Considering that I can hear the noise even at the well casing, I know that it is not pipes loose in the house but actually the pump. I have no desire to pay to have the pump pulled since it works extremely well(produces about 20gpm). I would like to know any forms of acceptable dampening that could be used. I am considering clamping rubber hose on the main line before it comes into the house and re burying it but am concerned about potential bursting or leaking. I feel the issue does need to be fixed outside of the house or I will still be able to hear some of the noise.
Please let me know what others have done. I know it is a common problem by seeing so many posts on the net, but I have not been able to find reasonable corrective measures.
Thanks.
BTW I am in SEattle so if anyone has a technician that may help me I would love contact info.

PS
I have contacted the company that installed the pump and they seem very unprofessional and of little help.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
A constant vibration? Very unusual. You must mean a hammer or thud upon start or most likely shut off. You cant dampen it by pipe suppport but must eliminate it by reducing the FLOW rate at the time of shut off.

You can raise the shut pressure considerably to achieve it, or install a valve that reduces flow, or add a CSV valve which greatly reduces flow on shut off though with a cost of added run time and some power use. It is also possible to reduce hammer by using adjustable pressure relief valves set at just above shut off pressure: they will "leak" or open and reduce pressure surges upon shut off.

I have a water system that has a static pressure of 130PSI at the well. It pumps uphill 1/2 mile and has no tank at the bottom. Flow is low, but there is some pulsation or hammer on shut off. A few pressure relief valves blow off the surge on shut off and protect the piping. A small bladder tank would however be preferable in my case, but the pressure is too high for most that are available and PRV's are cheap and adjustable.

Again, if its a true constant vibration, you have a mystery condition.

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Hello I have a goulds deep well pump that is putting out a vibration which can be heard througout our entire house ...

I am considering clamping rubber hose on the main line before it comes into the house ...

I had the same problem in the last place I lived, but not quite as bad and not all the time. In my own case, I think it had to do with scale caused by IRB (iron related bacteria).

I doubt the rubber hose would do very much dampening of the telegraphing going on, and I suspect any kind of vibration isolation additions to the system would be expensive. A torque dampener around the pump inside the well *might* make a little bit of difference, but you are likely going to have to have that pump pulled and cleaned and possibly balanced or even replaced.

NathanY

Reaction score
Thank you for the input but it is absolutely not water hammer. I have had that situation in other houses and am very familiar with it and it is nothing even similar. The noise is definitely coming from the pump and as far as I can tell is being transmitted through all of the pipes(not just some, which would be a simple means of securing a few loose pipes).

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hey ballvalve, did you see where Amtrol just increased the pressure rating of most of their tanks from 125 to 150 PSI? It has to be a WX250 or larger. I have been using them up to 150 PSI for years with no problems. I don't trust pop off valves because they have to have see the high pressure "before" they pop off. Plus when poping off water, it is hard to get a pressure switch to stay open.

NathanY, if the pump is causing that much vibration, stopping the noise is the least of your problems. That vibration will knock the bearings out of the pump and the top of the motor in short order. Need to sovle the original problem instead of applying a band aid.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I dont like the valve plan either, but there is no pressure switch at all. Some guys that build hydraulic rams have used 3' of 4" riser and filled it with rubber balls as a surge tank.

NathanY

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies. I do agree that there is probably an issue with the pump, but I was hoping to prolong pulling it and replacing since it still pumps fine. I suppose I should do something in the nearer future to avoid an emergency type situation. I guess I am always hoping for a simple fix but I know that doesn't happen too often.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I suggest that you call Goulds @ (315) 568-7123 and ask for their assistance.

I had a similar problem years ago with a new pump with a Franklin motor. I believe they advised me to install an additional running capacitor of the same size. I don't remember if it was in series or parallel but it solved the problem immediately. You may get some technical assistance by Franklin Motor assistance at 800.348.2420, or an email to hotline@fele.com. Submersable motors are all similar in that what fixes one will usually fix them all.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Franklin mentions that in its AIM manual. But he may not have a three wire pump and even then it may not be a CRC box. So he might try a capcitor start-run box AND add another run cap - if its a 3 wire pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks