Lav faucet slow to shut off...

Users who are viewing this thread

m3rdpwr

Reaction score
So, my wife called me this morning and said she swore that she shutoff the bathroom faucet.

When she walked by, she heard the water running and it was.

So she turned the hot faucet handle back on and off, they were slow to shut off but than did.

It is a Costco Waterridge faucet (Made by Danske I'm told), I know there are people who dont like them, but it's there to stay. It was a heavy solid piece that looked great and I was under the impression at the time that Danske was a good manufacturer. (It's brushed nickle w/ chrome accents and matches all other expensive bath hardware, so I don't want to go down that path.)

Is this as simple as taking out the cartridge and bringing it to Lowes/HD to get a replcement seat and seals and tool?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Mario

Last edited by a moderator:

Asktom

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think you are about to find out why people don't like them. Waterridge is a house brand and does not indicate who made it. It could also be Globe Union, who make some of HDs Glacier Bay and Pegasus faucets. Parts for all of the above are a stinker to come up with. You will need to pull the stem to even know what you are looking for. I think it going to be more complicated than a trip to the local big box. If you find the part, get extra - they may not be there next time.

m3rdpwr

Reaction score
I have the 800 number at home somewhere for lifetime replacement parts.

After I was told it was Danske, I ordered my accessories for the bathroom from them because they were very similar.

I'll see if I can find the number and have them send out the parts.

They recently did water and sewer work on our streets and shut off water.
Lots of grime coming out of the faucets.
I'm sure that didn't help any.

Thanks again...

-Mario

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Big box stores don't carry repair parts for those faucets.
You could be a new faucet body, and rob the parts, or just call the 800 number and wait for the new part.
When my son called, it only took 3 weeks.

LOL

If it were Moen or Delta, or Kohler it would have been days, not weeks.

It may be that it just needs a good cleaning.

Plumbers like faucets that are "known"
The worst time sucking problem we have is tracking down what the parts may be.
Homeowners don't think it's a problem, but we do.
It's hard to bill our time when the homeowner doesn't value the duty of a part hunter.
They buy the oddball faucet, and expect that parts are getable.
Everytime I look for a Pegasus web site, it no longer works.
What is that about? The Delta, Moen, Kohler, Grohe web sites have been stable for years, and their 1-800 numbers for parts.
But someone needs to be a Guinea Pig for these things. Just let us know how it all works out.

At least it's just a lav faucet.
A tub faucet is more critical, most of the time, there's no way to just shut down a tub faucet, but a lav or sink faucet will have shutoffs below for isolation.

Last edited:

m3rdpwr

Reaction score
I will thanks.

When I was looking for a faucet, I couldn't find one that:
A) Fit an 8" 3 whole granite slab
B) That looked half decent.

When I saw this one, I was like "Wow".
It was solid and heavy and looked well built.

I'll update you after my phone call. lol

-Mario

Interesting how much it looks like the Pegasus though at HD P/N: FW0B5207BNC
Even is mixed brushed nickel and chrome accents.

Attachments

• mario_faucet.jpg
    mario_faucet.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
If you can't find the stem, post a picture of it next to a ruler and tell us the number of splines on the broach where the handle fits on (assuming it is round with splines). It is probably a quarter turn ceramic cartridge and there are a few of them that have been used by many manufacturers, so there may be some availability. Someone here may be able to ID it.

m3rdpwr

Reaction score
First I'd like to thank you all for your input and to bear with me as I explain.

No matter what shutoff valve I turned off or on, both hot and cold were slow to turn off.

I took off the handle and decorative cap, which by the way were heavy and thick unlick the Kohler I had looked at. The valves looked good.

One of the decorarive caps unscrewed the valve bolt with it and I couldn't remove them.
So I had to use a whizzer to put a notch in the bolt-cap and pur the decorative cap upside down in a roll of toilet paper which happen to be the perfect size to hold it. I used a small screwdriver and hammer to tap it off.

Once all back together, same thing it was slow to shut off.

Took it all apart again and this time I took apart the ceramic cartridge by removing a small clip.
I must say that before disassembly it seemed the valve wasn't closing all the way.
Anyway, after taking both apart and back together it fixed the problem!

Thank you all!

-Mario

@asktom

The cartridge was 2.25" long with 38 teeth I believe.
FtbTrZsFZqLdIdgEP_xL9w

Last edited:

m3rdpwr

Reaction score
If it was mine, I get a Delta and toss the Chinese junk.

While I went to HD and Lowes when I was looking for this, I also went to a place called Splash to look for a bathroom faucet.

Most of the supposed good ones were cheap and thin like tin.

The WR one to me seemed impressive with it's heavy weight, brass, and thick covers.

Since taking apart and cleaning the cartridges fixed the problem, I have to guess when they did the sewer work and the water was shut off to the house a couple weeks ago, crud must have built up.

Strange as when the water was turned back on, the toilet hose leaked and needed retightening.
Pehaps the new city plumbing caused more pressure too?

I don't know, it works now with a basic cleaning and all is well again.

Thanks all...

-Mario

Asktom

Reaction score
It isn't a "Euro standard" cartridge. Some of the Glacier Bay use a 32 point broach, just so you know down the road.

Speede541

Reaction score
Costco, in the past, has been very good about returns under circumstances such as these -- one reason I'll take a chance with an unknown brand from them from time to time. In your shoes, I'd try taking it back and suggesting it's simply not up to their typical quality standards. I bet you'll walk out with a full refund.

m3rdpwr

Reaction score
Costco and BJ's are very good about that.

I bought an air compressor at Costco and maybe 2 years later it broke.
I happen to have the box from storage and returned it for current selling price.
I lost a few bucks on the return, but no one treats you that good.

Sorry for straying off subject.

I'd buy Costco WR again after opening the box to inspect the quality.

I saw a kitchen faucet I liked that no one else had something similar.

-Mario

Costco, in the past, has been very good about returns under circumstances such as these -- one reason I'll take a chance with an unknown brand from them from time to time. In your shoes, I'd try taking it back and suggesting it's simply not up to their typical quality standards. I bet you'll walk out with a full refund.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks