Trouble Replacing Bathroom Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

NewHomeGuy

Reaction score
My wife and I just bought a home and moved in a couple of weeks ago. I bought 2 new faucets for our dual vanity in the master bedroom today and was trying to remove the old ones and ran into trouble. There's a large nut at the bottom that I can't remove under the knobs. I'm not sure if it's welded or not, but I've been struggling forever trying to get it off. I managed to loosen the washers under and above the counter and was able to loosen the knob but cannot remove it due to that nut at the bottom. Please see pics below. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DSCF2677.jpg

DSCF2680.jpg

DSCF2686.jpg

DSCF2687.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Using eye protection, you can drill out the nuts below, or use a hack saw blade.
They also make a drill bit that will cut off the nut.

Also, you will need to replace your shutoffs at this time. Those stops with the soft copper are "one use only".
Any more bending can cause them to crack. You can change them for less then $20
A lot cheaper then if they finish cracking while you are at work, then it can hit $100,000

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Take the handle off. Use pliers to unscrew the chrome trim which is snug to the top of the sink. Under that is probably a nut, which comes off. You may not need to do anything under the sink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a Price Pfister faucet. Use pliers to unscrew the chrome ring on the top of the handle. Remove the screw under the ring and remove the handle. The chrome ring on top of the sink is secured by a plastic piece screwed onto the faucet. Take it off. Then you can remove the nut on TOP of the sink so the faucet can be removed from the bottom.

NewHomeGuy

Reaction score
It is a Price Pfister faucet. Use pliers to unscrew the chrome ring on the top of the handle. Remove the screw under the ring and remove the handle. The chrome ring on top of the sink is secured by a plastic piece screwed onto the faucet. Take it off. Then you can remove the nut on TOP of the sink so the faucet can be removed from the bottom.

I tried that previously. That chrome trim is already loose. I was able to loosen that thin washer(nut) under it but I cannot pull that large nut (under the sink) in the picture through the opening at the top of the sink. I was trying to take apart the knob last night, hoping that the rod with that large nut would fall through on the bottom.

This is the piece that doesn't fit through:

nut.jpg

CarlH

Reaction score
In the first picture there looks to be a hole in that nut. Is it possible that it is allen set screw? If so, you will need to loosen that before you can loosen the nut.

NewHomeGuy

Reaction score
In the first picture there looks to be a hole in that nut. Is it possible that it is allen set screw? If so, you will need to loosen that before you can loosen the nut.

No, that's where a hose was plugged into.

CarlH

Reaction score
No, the hole in the hex side. See image below, you may not have noticed it. Any time I see something like that I would expect to see a set screw. It may not have one, but it is worth checking. Looks like spot where you will be working blind so you may need to test fit a couple of allen keys to see if there is a set screw in there. Or look at the other side to see if you can get a better look.

valve.jpg

NewHomeGuy

Reaction score
No, the hole in the hex side. See image below, you may not have noticed it. Any time I see something like that I would expect to see a set screw. It may not have one, but it is worth checking. Looks like spot where you will be working blind so you may need to test fit a couple of allen keys to see if there is a set screw in there. Or look at the other side to see if you can get a better look.

View attachment 11004

There was previously a hose attached there that connected to the main faucet. I thought it'd be a little odd that a screw would be in there. I was able to fully rotate that rod and the other side is completely solid. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. If not, then i'll just tare it apart from above the sink. Thanks

CarlH

Reaction score
There was previously a hose attached there that connected to the main faucet.

In that case, ignore what I said. Besides, the pros said that it can be disassembled from above. Wouldn't you rather work from above than below? You will probably have to work above and below.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you removed the nut on top of the sink, WHAT is keeping it from falling through the hole? You will have a harder time loosening the spout because that DOES have to be done from underneath. I have a way to simplify it, but if I told it to you, you might damage the sink doing it. show us a picture of what you have done on top of the sink so far, because you must NOT be doing what we think you said you have done.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This project may be beyond your abilities and our abilities to explain how to take it apart to you...
Maybe it's time for a plumber....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks