Leaking Kitchen supply pipe ??

Users who are viewing this thread

forKirk4

Reaction score
Hello, I am been fighting a leak in my Kitchen sink Faucet. After replacing most of my faucet, except the base, I think i have isolated it to the HOT supply pipe. I cannot see a visible leak, but when I have the main water shut off, i still have a trickle of water coming from the hot water supply hose to the faucet. My initial thought is that a small hole is present in the pipe somewhere resulting in a loss of the "vacuum" that's present in the sealed piping. A little air in somewhere causing a little water out . Can you confirm this or make any recommendations? ... beside a plumber ( i am almost to that point) .
Thank you for any help ...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What you say does not make sense. A picture would help. You can usually narrow down a water leak by drying things off with a towel and immediately looking with a flashlight to see what's dripping;

forKirk4

Reaction score
Have already dried off pipes & even wrapped pipes with paper towels & have found no sign of a leak; no moisture points on the copper pipes. I have turned off the MAIN water in to the house; I have turned off the HOT & COLD water pipes under the sink; The picture shows the hot water line , the connection that would normally be connected to the faucets' Hot input . With Main & sinks valves closed, i am still getting a steady trickle of water from the hot line . The Washer in the Basement, which runs from the same feed off the Hot Water Heater seems to be OK; no leak yet found . NOTE: I have replaced the Hot & cold supply lines between the copped pipes & the faucet; the dripping was occurred before AND after. Hope the link works; I have no other site to post them .
photo.php

forKirk4

Reaction score
Have already dried off pipes & even wrapped pipes with paper towels & have found no sign of a leak; no moisture points on the copper pipes. I have turned off the MAIN water in to the house; I have turned off the HOT & COLD water pipes under the sink; The picture shows the hot water line , the connection that would normally be connected to the faucets' Hot input . With Main & sinks valves closed, i am still getting a steady trickle of water from the hot line . The Washer in the Basement, which runs from the same feed off the Hot Water Heater seems to be OK; no leak yet found . NOTE: I have replaced the Hot & cold supply lines between the copped pipes & the faucet; the dripping was occurred before AND after. Hope the link works; I have no other site to post them .http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1294308&l=24481de491&id=1487328934 maybe a better try ...

and thank you ...

Attachments

• forkirk4.jpg
    forkirk4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 481
Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are using Teflon Tape, please remove every trace of it.
The tape will create a space for the water to leak.
That hose connector has seals on both ends. You install them "clean" or they will leak.

If the shutoff under the sink is bad, (not shutting off) then you can replace it.
It looks like 1/2" coming up, which meand you can use a compression shutoff for replacement, or get a torch and solder on a new one. I prefer compression myself.

Last edited:

forKirk4

Reaction score
Thank you, i did use some tape just on the latest replacement attempt, but it WAS leaking prior to the tape too. (but I am removing tape ) .Some problem History ... The original issue was a chronic leak from the faucet & down into the cabinet underneath; I did isolate that the leak WAS originally coming from the faucets location, and could be observed dripping from the faucet & down the hoses into the cabinet; but it continues even after removing the entire faucet; as seen now from the pictured connection. AND when i remove this supply hose; it will pool at the top of the copper pipe above the shut off valve & drip from there. . It seems to be initiating below the kitchen location, in the pipework i suspect. My suspicion is that air maybe getting IN somewhere resulting in water coming OUT elsewhere. IS THIS PLAUSIBLE ??? I have ALSO inspected the copper piping in the basement & can find no evidence of leakage or water spotting. The only areas left are out of reach ; below the cabinet & where the pipes pass through the floor. >>> Could this STILL be linked to a bad shutoff ????

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Have you checked the stem of the shutoff? That's a very common location for a leak.
If a valve has been used recently, they can start to leak at the stem.
Sometimes snugging the bonnet nut stops it, other times it takes replacement. Hot water is hell on stops.
Most are in pretty bad shape after twenty years. In my home, I switch them out when they are over 20.

forKirk4

Reaction score
will check the stem & shut off itself again; expect i may have to replace the shut off. Will post the end game ... thx again

forKirk4

Reaction score
will check the stem & shut off itself again; expect i may have to replace the shut off. Will post the end game ... thx again

have checked the valve ; removing the knob, packing nut & washer. Upon removing the Packing Nut & washer,and the trickle stopped. If i replace the washer & Packing nut, it begins to trickle again (very weird) . The Valve stem is not removable , so this is all that comes out. Again, i imagine at this point, it means replacing the whole SO valve. Se la vie . Thanx all :-/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks