Steel Tubs - life span?

Users who are viewing this thread

jjaazzy

Reaction score
What is the life expectancy of one of these builder grade tubs. It is in very good condition now with plenty of gloss to the paint. Original to the house built in 93, I am carefull to not clean it with any harsh chemicals that will scratch. I am going to change out the tile in this bathroom and it would be a real time and money saver not to swap out the tub however, I would not want to find out after the fact that the tub is a gonner after all the tile went up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I think I'd replace it. If the finish is perfect and it is installed well supported so it doesn't flex, and you don't drop anything on it that cracks the finish, it could last a very long time. I think you're on borrowed time, and I agree that refreshing the tile without considering that the tub may start to rust is wishful thinking. No matter how well you try to keep things covered, I think you'll likely drop a tile, or a tool and do something to the old tub hastening its demise. Also, keep in mind that now may be the time to update the tub/shower valve to modern standards rather than as an afterthought when you try to put the old trim back up and can't stand it with the refreshed tile. Check out www.johnbridge.com for help with tiling.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There will NEVER be a cheaper time to replace the tub than now. IF it is really a steel tub, and not cast iron, then it was NO GOOD the day it was installed and has only gotten worse, regardless of how it looks. In fact the damage is usually where you CANNOT see it until it becomes so bad the tub has to be replaced.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mine is over seventy years old, and is holding up. Then again, it is not one of these cheap Mexico & China made thin wall tubs.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Mine is over seventy years old, and is holding up. Then again, it is not one of these cheap Mexico & China made thin wall tubs.

If it's 70 yrs old it's cast iron not steel. No steel tub can even come close to that age.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Then again, it is not one of these cheap Mexico & China made thin wall tubs.

if it's 70 years old then it was either from the 30's or 40's. The 30's were all cast iron, and the 40's would have been wartime so it would have been a "cheap made in America thin wall tub", if it is really pressed steel and not cast iron.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks