Sucking sound from well cap

Users who are viewing this thread

tylerc

Reaction score
I am hearing a sucking or air escaping noise from the cap of my drilled well It happens when we are using water. I have never heard this before from any other wells i've been around. does anyone know whats going on?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are using water, something has to replace that water. Part, if not most of that volume will be air. As the water level in the well goes down, air enters the well. When the water is refilling the drill hole, air is escaping at the same rate.

There are several things that might be different between your well and any other well which make it more notable to you.

tylerc

Reaction score
thanks

cacher_chick
Thank you for the quick reply. That puts my mind at ease, as I said I have been around drilled wells in several different homes and never noticed that before. Maybe I have sharper ears now that I'm Paying the bills.
Thanks Again
Tyler

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If its sucking air, its sucking in bugs and bacteria and eventually surface water. Better get it sealed up an add a filter thats above any water intrusion. I have a well that BLOWS air out when it runs. Go figure - added a filter to a small 1/2" plug opening.

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
If its sucking air, its sucking in bugs and bacteria and eventually surface water. Better get it sealed up an add a filter thats above any water intrusion. I have a well that BLOWS air out when it runs. Go figure - added a filter to a small 1/2" plug opening.

I find that kinda hard to believe. Unless you have a free flowing well.

Your well will BLOW air when the pump is running? The only way this can happen is if you are putting water in the well faster than it can take the water.

Now if it blows air out when the pump cuts off. That makes more sense.
When the pump cuts off, the water it just pulled out, will rush back in and cause air to blow out the top.

I have just never see a well blow air out the top of the seal while the pump is running.

Travis

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Well, you are right its hard to believe and its weird. Discovered it at an open port I was using to add chlorine. Just a fine steady outflow of air only when the ssubmersible was on. Have not checked it lately. Maybe there are a lot of them and a tight seal simply means no one ever notices. I have worked on and have had a lot of wells and this is the only one. 6". 150' 60gpm. Perhaps a well would blow air if its caving in, but I lined this to bottom with 4" pvc.

The guy with the well that sucks needs a filter. I used sintered bronze.

Maybe I need a blowout preventer at the bottom....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks