BrassCraft 1/4 turn G2 water stop

Users who are viewing this thread

Ray Ball

Reaction score
My plummer installed BrassCraft 1/4 turn water stops, G2 series, in our ensuite bathroom.
Five months later, the hot water stop blew apart and flowed about a day causing about $70,000
damages. If there were threads in the water stop, they were all stripped off.
I understand there has been a problem with these G2 series, and wonder if there is any legal recourse.

Speaking of brasscraft, I noticed that the brasscraft 1/4 turn they sell at the home depot is not even the same product as the one I get at my local supply, and as you said is not of the same quality. The one I could get at the home store is the G2 series, the one from the supply (or even my local true value when they are not out of stock) is the KT one, the KT is a ball valve, the G2 is some kinda morphed evil twin. Also the KT I have gotten say "made in usa" on the box, the G2 says "made in china"...and the price is about the same.
rwcarpenter

Prod_G2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I had a brasscraft valve that looks like that one break in my hand.......stem broke in half as I turned it, and of course there was a gusher. Fortunately, I was right there. In my case, the metal stem just disintegrated. I have read that others have had that problem, and ascribed it to de-zincification of the brass. Don't know if they have either changed or fixed that.

Here is a pic of mine, not identical to the OP valve, but it is brasscraft, the brass stem disintegrated, and when it snapped, old faithful hit me right in the face!

brasscraft_g2_broken.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A 1/4 turn valve does NOT have threads on the stem. It just rotates in a barrel. Given the way they are assembled, I am not sure HOW it could have "blown apart". Normally, your homeowner's insurance company would take care of the damages, and THEY would seek the "legal recourse", if any, not you.

Last edited:

Ray Ball

Reaction score
BrassCraft 1/4 turn water stop blew apart

A 1/4 turn valve does NOT have threads on the stem. It just rotates in a barrel. Given the way they are assembled, I am not sure HOW it could have "blown apart". Normally, your homeowner's insurance company would take care of the damages, and THEY would seek the "legal recourse", if any, not you.

My 1/4 turn G2 valve blew apart on the connection side between the two nut surfaces, not on the rotating valve side. I will e-mail you a couple of pictures to illustrate the separation ( I don't know how to attach them to this response).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Nelson Water damage photos

Here are some photos sent by email.

These attachments show the blown apart BrassCraft 1/4 turn G2 series water stop that I started a thread on 29 May, 2010. I don't know my URL so I couldn't attach these pictures to the thread.

One of my neighbors also had the same problem.

thank you,

Ray Ball

nelson_g2_1.jpg
nelson_g2_2.jpg
nelson_g2_3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks