Hook two water lines to one stop valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

mc510

Reaction score
I've got an insinkerator instant hot to install in my kitchen; it uses a 3/8 compression fitting on its supply line. The cold water stop valve has one 3/8 compression fitting, which is, of course, being used by the faucet. So I need a way to get both of these 3/8 compression lines attached to the same stop valve.

The Insinkerator manual advises to connect a tee to the existing stop valve, but I haven't been able to find an appropriate part for this application. All I can find is a 3/8 compression tee union, but it doesn't appear that a tee union can be directly threaded onto the existing stop valve. Does the sort of tee that I need exist (in common usage)?

Yngwie_69

Reaction score
sounds like you need a chunk of 3/8th copper on the stop valve with compression nut, the hook the comp tee to the chunk of copper

oh yeah they make a 2 way stop valve to, use them lots on the hot line for faucet and dishwasher

Last edited:

mc510

Reaction score
sounds like you need a chunk of 3/8th copper on the stop valve with compression nut, the hook the comp tee to the chunk of copper
That's what I was afraid of.

oh yeah they make a 2 way stop valve to, use them lots on the hot line for faucet and dishwasher
Yeah, if I can't screw a tee right onto the existing stop, then a two-way stop is probably my solution. I just haven't yet looked to see how the existing stop connects to it's water supply.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should really replace the shutoff with a double stop.
They make them 3/8" and 1/4" compression with two handles, for both IP and copper at the wall.

legend-double-stops.jpg

Last edited:

mc510

Reaction score
Sounds good. The double-outlet stops that I've seen at the big chain stores all have plastic stems, which just seems like a bad idea ... or are these actually okay for home use?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A real plumbing store will have other choices, and then there is always the web. If you find a place that does free shipping, all the better. Note, your local Ace hardware probably either has, or can get what you want, and if you pick it up in the store (if they don't have it) you don't have to pay for shipping. Most order once a week, so it depends on when you hit that day how fast it will come.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most hardware stores will have a Brasscraft "Add-a-Tee" which screws to your valve. They come with 3/8" or 1/4" openings. Does your ISE have a 3/8" or 1/4" feed?

mc510

Reaction score
thanks guys; i was able to find the dual outlet stop valve at my local Ace Hardware, just as jadnashua said ... 1/4 turn type, with brass ball and stem, made by Keeney ... and cheaper than the half-plastic Brasscraft valves at Home Depot!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks