Galvanized for gas in fireplace?

Users who are viewing this thread

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
So I did the right thing and spent a solid amount of money to have a licensed/bonded plumber run a gas line to my fireplace. I came home last night to find everything beautifully done. However, he ran black pipe outside the house and when it transitioned inside, it's galvanized, right into the firebox.

Is that OK? I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Some things I read say that black pipe MUST be used near fire, other things I read say galvanized is OK. I don't want to get into a fight with my plumber over this if I don't have to, but I just don't want my house to explode down the road.

Also -- part of the pipe will be covered over by brick -- that needs to be wrapped with tape, right? He didn't do that.

Thanks.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well I don't know about S. Cali but I know up here in BC you are NOT allowed to use galvanized piping for gas.... black steel, copper, or a corrugated stainless steel are the preferred piping materials.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
So I did the right thing and spent a solid amount of money to have a licensed/bonded plumber run a gas line to my fireplace. I came home last night to find everything beautifully done. However, he ran black pipe outside the house and when it transitioned inside, it's galvanized, right into the firebox.

Is that OK? I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Some things I read say that black pipe MUST be used near fire, other things I read say galvanized is OK. I don't want to get into a fight with my plumber over this if I don't have to, but I just don't want my house to explode down the road.

Also -- part of the pipe will be covered over by brick -- that needs to be wrapped with tape, right? He didn't do that.

Thanks.

It's going to come down to the usual reply, you have to check your local jurisdiction to get a viable answer.

Some areas will allow galv. on gas lines.

Black pipe outside usually requires it to at least to be painted.

Running gas pipe thru walls requires a sleeve.

The only one that can answer is local code office.

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
It's going to come down to the usual reply, you have to check your local jurisdiction to get a viable answer.

Some areas will allow galv. on gas lines.

Black pipe outside usually requires it to at least to be painted.

Running gas pipe thru walls requires a sleeve.

The only one that can answer is local code office.

Ah, just what I didn't want to hear! Trying to navigate the L.A. Building Department is like running through a maze. I don't even know where to begin! Thanks though.

Asktom

Reaction score
LA code is based on the UPC, which allows galvanized for gas (it was once required for buried gas lines). There are a few cities in Southern California that require black pipe (Santa Monica, Santa Barbara...) but that is really for purposes of identification (so it won't be confused with a water line). The only issue would be if the pipe got hot enough to burn the zinc coating, but any fumes should go right up the flue and I don't see a problem. The black pipe outside should be 6" or more above the ground.

theBigSee

DIY Member
Reaction score
LA code is based on the UPC, which allows galvanized for gas (it was once required for buried gas lines). There are a few cities in Southern California that require black pipe (Santa Monica, Santa Barbara...) but that is really for purposes of identification (so it won't be confused with a water line). The only issue would be if the pipe got hot enough to burn the zinc coating, but any fumes should go right up the flue and I don't see a problem. The black pipe outside should be 6" or more above the ground.

Thanks so much -- we've got it covered on all points. Should work out great. Now I just need to wrap the pipe with tape where it will be covered with masonry and I'm good to go! Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks