Questions on ceramic floors and Aquia installation

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYMom1

Reaction score
Hi Terry,
I just bought a new Toto Aquia II but am having trouble with the installation directions. on pg.1 it says I need a 11/32 inch bit to install on a cmt/tile floor (which I have). then on page two it says to drill 5/16 inch holes and use the provided plastic anchors on cmt/tile floors. so--
question 1, do you know what size bit I should be using and if I'm installing on a tile floor do I really need the plastic anchors?

the second unclear part is using the plastic piece called the socket that sits over the septic drain hole. does the wax ring really go under the socket, this seems to be what the picture is showing but how can that get a tight seal if the wax isn't smooshed up against the bottom of the toilet. If I install it as the picture shows then the rubber gasket of the socket would be next to the outlet on the toilet and the wax would be under that. this is different that any other toilet I have installed and just want to get it right. I would truly appreciate your advice. I did look at your sons installation information but it did not cover these items.

Thanks

aquia_adapter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The adapter uses wax to seal it to the floor flange. The toilet seals to the adapter via that rubber gasket. Not sure about the holes. I've seen the toilet, but never installed one. Part of the installation is similar to those that use the Unifit adapter, but not exactly the same.

If the flange is recessed, then you may need two wax rings or one jumbo to get the adapter to seal to the floor. you should feel it squish the wax when you install the adapter.

Firemark

Reaction score
Hi Terry,
--
question 1, do you know what size bit I should be using and if I'm installing on a tile floor do I really need the plastic anchors?

aquia_adapter.jpg

What's under the Ceramic Tile Floor? Is it on a concrete slab? If so, yes, you need the anchors and larger hole for the bolts to bite into and hold. If over the usual concrete backer and wood subfloor, maybe not. I drilled larger holes just through the tile then switched to the smaller size and did not use the anchors. Sorry, didn't re-read Jamie's instructions but for drilling the holes make sure you use NEW MASONRY drillbits.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some ceramic tile (the harder porcelains) are actually harder than a carbide drill bit, so a diamond bit works best. As noted above, the size of the hole you need to make depends on the floor and whether you need an anchor or have enough wood underneath so all you need is a through-hole in the tile.

Firemark

Reaction score
That explains the workout I got drilling through the ceramic tiles, even after buying new carbide tip bits, they lasted only a couple of holes. I've also seen posts here that recommend using a hammer-drill vs a standard electric drill. If you don't want to fork over $100 or more for a drill you can rent them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks