Concern regarding GAS Cook stove???

Users who are viewing this thread

77TEXAN77

Reaction score
Howdy all. This is my first post/question to ask so here goes :)

When installing/hooking up the gas cook stove in the kitchen for my brother. I discovered the Plumber who previously installed the same stove at another house had put some sort of flow valve, back flow preventer or flow control (brass) fitting, at the stove. However, the arrows on this fitting which show the direction of the flow were pointed away from the stove and toward the wall/meter.? I would have thought the direction of flow would be in reference to flow coming from the wall/meter? So I suspect it may have been put in backwards but I do not want to be presumptuous.

I'm not a licensed Plumber however, I have installed Gas cook stoves in the past for myself as I've moved from house to house through my short 40 years on this earth lol and never had any problems. But I've never seen such a valve. So is it necessary to even have the device in-line?

Any help would very very much appreciated as we are very hungry and would like to start supper using our new stove :) lol Thank ya'll very much for any help :)

Last edited:

77TEXAN77

Reaction score
Perhaps these will work : Hopefully you can see the green arrows pointing toward the stove. The Yellow flex in the right side of pics is going to the Valve in the box in the wall.

I put it (the back flow preventer) at the stove end of things because the box in the wall is to small. I would have to 90 out, add the back flow valve you see in the pic etc. by the time I assembled everything at the wall everything would stick out to much and prevents to stove from being able to be as far up against the wall as it can.??

Note: Throughout this adventure I've had the back flow preventer you see in the pics installed in both directions and the stove has worked both ways. I wonder if this means the back flow is failing and needs to be replaced?

shawunltd-01.jpg

shawunltd-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a gas "fuse valve" fitting. These work like the so-called flood buster faucet supplies. If that is what it is, it needs to go at the valve, not at the stove end, and gas will not flow opposite the arrow.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes i got your messages,
go with what jimbo posted this is supposed to sense a break in your gas flex and shut down

down the gas to prevent fire or explosions ! !

That is why it must be at the wall valve ! !

77TEXAN77

Reaction score
OK thanks guys I really appreciate the help. Jimbo you mentioned that the fuse valve would not work if it were put in backwards yet yesterday when I did install it backwards the stove would work. So that makes me wonder if the valve isn't working..? What do you/ya'll think?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You have a nightmare of fittings there....and I am amazed there is no leak. I hope the nut on the left side is not a compression nut!

In the picture, the fitting with the arrow is pointing the right way...in the direction of flow. By the way, the fitting we are talking about is NOT a check valve. It is a flow stopper. The idea is that if the flex connector or something inside the appliance were to fail catastrophically, the flow valve would shut, to prevent a gas explosion. It allows normal slow flow of gas, but shuts off at a certain higher flow rate. Where you have it, it accomplishes little if anything. Also, it looks like the fitting is not all there. I suspect it has been tampered with.

77TEXAN77

Reaction score
I agree nightmare of fittings. Wasn't my first choice. Just trying to save money as money is extremely tight these days and used what we had to get it done. No leaks at all. Patience, proper fittings, (nut on left is not a compression fitting) and Soapy water verified that. Gotcha on the "Flow Stopper" terminology. Regarding ..... when you said below ... "the gas will not flow opposite the arrow" If someone did install it backwards and it did work would that prove the valve or in this case flow stopper as bad or faulty?

Sounds like it could be a gas "fuse valve" fitting. These work like the so-called flood buster faucet supplies. If that is what it is, it needs to go at the valve, not at the stove end, and gas will not flow opposite the arrow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
thing

That almost looks like part of a "quick connect", but does not seem to be one. From the second picture, I get the impression that the flow IS in the correct direction, because the aluminum tubing to the left of the pressure regulator seems to be the line TO the gas control in the unit. The other question is HOW did you "install it both ways" because one side is a pipe thread and the other is a flare joint, and the two are NOT interchangeable.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That kind of valve senses high volume from a broken hose and shuts. It will only shut and seal when it senses high volume, and is otherwise fully opened. So, if the flow wasn't too high, it would pass gas installed either way. But, if installed backwards, it would not be able to close and seal with high volume because the sensing and seal mechanism relies on the volume and pressure to create the seal...when backwards, that would force it to stay open, not close it. Sort of like the FloodSafe water valves/hoses...in theory anyway, they pass water normally, but shut off if it senses a broken hose to prevent flooding.

77TEXAN77

Reaction score
That kind of valve senses high volume from a broken hose and shuts. It will only shut and seal when it senses high volume, and is otherwise fully opened. So, if the flow wasn't too high, it would pass gas installed either way. But, if installed backwards, it would not be able to close and seal with high volume because the sensing and seal mechanism relies on the volume and pressure to create the seal...when backwards, that would force it to stay open, not close it. Sort of like the FloodSafe water valves/hoses...in theory anyway, they pass water normally, but shut off if it senses a broken hose to prevent flooding.

Thank you very much for the answer and detailed explanation to that question. Now it makes allot more sense :)

Earlier today I ventured out to the local plumbing supply. Took this valve with me and asked if they had one. The guy at the counter said and I quote "We do not stock those" I thought hummmm that doesn't make sense because an item generally speaking, required by code which in turn and would in most cases be in a high enough demand that they would in fact stock such a small item as that.

So I asked out loud for every counter person there and every plumber standing in line to hear; "if it was even required by code." In unison every head in the room was shaking "No". One of the licensed plumbers standing there said they haven't anything but problems with them failing and wasn't code required. No wonder I hadn't seen one before.

I had the idea that it was required because a local plumber in Pasadena had told my brother that it was a code requirement. This whole thing started because with this valve in line at the wall it kept the stove from being able to go all the way to the wall. errrr

Anyway, once it was determined it wasn't required by code and even though his house according again to the brother according to the local inspector that in new houses the shut off valve isn't put behind the stove anymore, due to new code. So our plan as you can see in the pics was to go ahead and move the valve in an attempt bring it up to date/more easily acceptable. This is now the way it is and now the stove goes all the way to the wall and if there is a small stove fire he can just reach under the cabinet and turn it off. And on at back of stove there are only two fittings now :)

Well the pics of the finished effort aren't wanting to load properly so they will have to wait sorry....
Thanks again for all the help and advice everybody :)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks