Adding washer drain/standpipe to existing Copper DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

mwhitis

Reaction score
Looking for some help to get my washer drain out of the laundry tub that it's currently draining into. I've got 2" Copper in the wall. I've seen a few posts on here with diagrams for proper washer drains, but looking for advice for translating that to my situation.

I've attached an image of the current setup. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
You might need slip couplings for this project in order to buckle in the new vertical piping if done in copper. However you can also do it in PVC and get away with using fernco couplings.

Attachments

• acw..jpg
    acw..jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 2,552

mwhitis

Reaction score
JC,

Thanks for the reply. After looking at your diagram, it may even be easier than that. The existing vent for this drain doesn't actually vent all the way to the roof. It actually turns left about the same height as your proposed new vent and then connects into the main vent stack.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like I could just cut that before it transitions into the main vent stack and switch to PVC there with a Fernco Proflex, and then cut the existing drain right above the CI and add a Proflex there or even go straight into the CI with a donut, I suppose.. Then, I could just replace the existing short run of copper vent with PVC and run new PVC for the new vent and drain for the washer. Any problems with that?

Thanks,

Mike

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
In some places you cant use donuts or push gaskets above ground. If you remove the copper and install pvc into cast iron with a donut, the piping would not be as secure and would flex. Installing a proflex coupling beteen the pvc and copper would work best. You can also use a lead joint from pvc to cast iron but will require special tools. Doing it in PVC with proflex would be easier,cheaper and would work. Make sure that the horizontal vent pipe is 42" above the floor or 6" above the highest spill level. Finally make sure that the p trap for the washing machine is 2" and the standpipe is 18" to 42" above the trap.

Last edited:

mwhitis

Reaction score
Sorry to drag this thread back up.

I've decided that while I'm installing the standpipe, I think I want to move the existing drain stub out, as it's facing a bit of an awkward direction. Was thinking about moving it from the side wall to the back wall next to the standpipe.

Is this new diagram acceptable (borrowing heavily from the laundry stack picture that Terry has posted frequently):

proposedlaundryisonew2.png

I wasn't sure if the green vent was allowed (not sure why it wouldn't be, but want to make sure I don't "over vent" if that's possible.) I have a lot of problems with lint clogs at the point where the current sink drains into the CI, and I'd like to get a cleanout right there with a straight shot.

Thanks,

Mike

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If you're only adding the c.o. to the mix you are fine. They make numerous lint traps for wash machines, might be something to look into, luck.

mwhitis

Reaction score
If you're only adding the c.o. to the mix you are fine. They make numerous lint traps for wash machines, might be something to look into, luck.

Thanks, Shacko.

Just to claify, both the blue and the green in the pic are "new". For the blue, I'm adding the standpipe, and moving the drain from the left wall to the back wall (about 3'), and then adding the "green" vent and cleanout where the drain was previously vented (but replacing with PVC).

I've tried the little Aluminum traps, but they fill up way too quickly. Most of the others that I've seen have been a variation of the same in a bigger form. If you've got a specific recommendation, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

mwhitis

Reaction score
You will have to run the horizontal drain lower and drop the sink drain into it. They do not make a 4 way fitting like you show in your drawing.

hj,

Thanks for the follow up. I probably would have come to that conclusion after looking for 20 minutes in the fittings aisle. Good info to have ahead of time. :)

Appreciate it.

Mike

mwhitis

Reaction score
Guys,

A Thumbnail with my final plan with fittings is below. If you get a chance, can you take a look at it to make sure I've got the fittings correct?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks