How to manually prime a 1985 Jacuzzi Pump model 5RP2?

Users who are viewing this thread

MJBC

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post to the forum. The pump motor is running but won't turn off. There is no pressure registering on the meter. Someone told me to prime the pump but I don't see any obvious ways to do that.

This pump is used for well water. There is a red cylinder connected to the pump but the only name on this object is "H20 To" Pre-charged water tank system.

Any help is most appreciated. Thank you.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
See the plug in the top of the pump, right beside the gauge. Not the big one, the one beside that. ( there probably isn't a big one on your pump because thats where the discharge pipe goes) You take that off and fill the pump with water. Put the plug back in and turn it on.

RP2..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MJBC

Reaction score
Thank you! I'm totally impressed that you have a snapshot of the pump. I looked all over for one online.

I'm not completely sure that's the problem but think I should try first. We unplugged the pump when it started running non-stop. Is there any electrical risk to just plug it back in once I fill the tank? Also, we plugged the pump back in but the gauge did not register - at all...do I have to reset it or something once I turn it back on?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If it lost it's prime there is usually a reason. Either the foot valve is bad (very likely) or there is a leak in the suction line. There is no re-set and yes, plug it back in after you fill it.

MJBC

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help Mr. Griffin. You saved me a whole heap of grief and probably saved a whole lot more in cost. All it needed was priming.

MJBC

Reaction score
Lost Prime again

If it lost it's prime there is usually a reason. Either the foot valve is bad (very likely) or there is a leak in the suction line. There is no re-set and yes, plug it back in after you fill it.

Hello Sir. Well the pump lost the prime again and it won't come back. So I'm thinking it's as you said that the foot valve is bad. Since the pump is so old (1985) is it better just to replace the whole thing or do you think I might be able to save some money and just replace the foot valve?

If I were to replace the whole pump, do have a guesstimate on the cost for the new pump and installation> (e.g. are you allowed to make recommendations on the make or model we might want to consider?)

Many thanks in advance for your advise!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Apparently there was nothing wrong with the brand you have. I think that part of Jacuzzi is now owned by Franklin Electric. Most major brand name pumps will be just as good. Sta-Rite, Meyers, Goulds, AY McDonand, Flint & Walling just to name a few.

MJBC

Reaction score
Jacuzzi Pump

Apparently there was nothing wrong with the brand you have. I think that part of Jacuzzi is now owned by Franklin Electric. Most major brand name pumps will be just as good. Sta-Rite, Meyers, Goulds, AY McDonand, Flint & Walling just to name a few.

Thank you for your reply. We have a plumber out here now and he replaced the old pump but it's still not working. Now he thinks the well is dry but we just had 3 big storms (down-pours....) before we commit to a new well too, do you have any suggestions?

MJBC

Reaction score

What is the suction line - this is sounding more like the problem...

MJBC

Reaction score
The suction line is the pipe between the pump and the bottom of the well.

It seems like this is a big roll of the dice. The plumber said you can install a new well but it might not hit water. As in you can't really tell where the problem is - kind of hit or miss. :(
(i.e. maybe the water table changed or is too low.) I don't know what to do. I don't want to pay $800.00 for a new well and a new pump.
Guess this one will need to be put on hold. Thanks so much for your replies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks