Water Softener with RO and Ph (acid) Neutralizer Install Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is so good to see that Red Neck is not Just in the South...

And that this thread could be classified as Crashed, Broken, Ended

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Most of the USA does, except for our Bob here but then he's just trying to be a PITA. Or maybe not and he believes what he is saying.... Like when he tells people to use a 1/2 cup of Iron Out regardless the size of the softener or the amount of iron in the person's water.

There you go again--false statements about my posts. I challenge you to support your statement that "he tells people to use a 1/2 cup of Iron Out regardless the size of the softener or the amount of iron in the person's water". You will not be able to support your statement because it is not something I posted. Perhaps you are having another of your senior moments.

I won't call you a liar for posting false information about me notwithstanding the fact that you have falsely posted that I have lied.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
There you go again--false statements about my posts. I challenge you to support your statement that "he tells people to use a 1/2 cup of Iron Out regardless the size of the softener or the amount of iron in the person's water". You will not be able to support your statement because it is not something I posted. Perhaps you are having another of your senior moments.

I won't call you a liar for posting false information about me notwithstanding the fact that you have falsely posted that I have lied.
Check out your statement in BOLD below. Apology expected. Anyone wanting the URL to the thread can PM me.

Also, the part in red below is incorrect unless the salt dose efficiency calls for that percent of increase, which varies greatly, and you don't know the volume of resin or the salt dose so you can't know the salt efficiency yet.

Your pretending to know this stuff by repeating what you have read me telling people is leading people astray Bob.

http://forum.************.com/water...ystems/418803-how-program-water-softener.html
03-01-10, 03:46 PM
Bob999

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn2424
1. does moderate levels of hardness destroy plumbing over time if a softener is not used?

2. Example, when I program 9 or 10 grains of hardness, basically I am telling my water softener thats how much hardness I have in my water. originally (I am new to water softeners) I thought always put it on 1 grain of hardness, to tell the water softener to make it soft

3. so its ok to switch up my salts? I should use my reg soft pack but once in a while its ok to use other specific salts that remove iron?

Plumbing fixtures and valves will last longer and work better with soft water--the harder the water the greater the improvement.

You should always use salt--sodium chloride is the least expensive and most widely used but some people use potassium chloride to avoid adding sodium to the water. If you do use potassium chloride you will need to increase the amount of salt used by about 30%. I suggested that you periodically--perhaps with every bag of salt--add say 1/2 cup of iron out in with the salt to keep the resin free of iron. Alternatively you could use a salt with the iron removing additive already mixed in with the salt.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Gary,

Your statement that I disputed was: "he tells people to use a 1/2 cup of Iron Out regardless the size of the softener or the amount of iron in the person's water" (emphasis added).

Your showing that I posted a recomendation to use 1/2 cup of Iron Out in one instance does NOT support your statement. So no apology due so far.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
catfight..jpg

meoooooooooowwwww

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Gary,

Your statement that I disputed was: "he tells people to use a 1/2 cup of Iron Out regardless the size of the softener or the amount of iron in the person's water" (emphasis added).

Your showing that I posted a recomendation to use 1/2 cup of Iron Out in one instance does NOT support your statement. So no apology due so far.
Well I've just reread the entire thread and nowhere is the size of any softener mentioned.

And actually you said "I suggested" but it should be 'I suggest'.

Nowhere does anyone mention the size of any softener.

And the amount of iron the OP showed in a link to his test result was .03 ppm!!

So you have suggested a 1/2 cup of Iron Out without knowing the volume of resin, and for only .03 ppm of iron.

Then you say to add that 1/2 cup of Iron Out with every bag of salt!! which makes your advice even worse.

Your words Bob, just as I said.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well I've just reread the entire thread and nowhere is the size of any softener mentioned.

And actually you said "I suggested" but it should be 'I suggest'.

Nowhere does anyone mention the size of any softener.

And the amount of iron the OP showed in a link to his test result was .03 ppm!!

So you have suggested a 1/2 cup of Iron Out without knowing the volume of resin, and for only .03 ppm of iron.

Then you say to add that 1/2 cup of Iron Out with every bag of salt!! which makes your advice even worse.

Your words Bob, just as I said.

I am still looking for the .03ppm Fe....

One thing that has worked for over 20 years is putting in some Iron out between the bags of extra course.. how much? that depends on the amount of Iron in the water and the size of the unit.. Have I messured the amount? no..(.. more like sugar toast if you know what that is... ) any where from a lite coat to a more heavy coat...

Now I use the extra course because if there is a Salt Bridge it is easier to break than the pellet salt.. and there is less binder at the bottom of the brine tank..
There are any number that I do not add the iron out to, there is no need , the salt and cleaning cycle does what is needed..
Each case is different again this is not a cookie cutter or one size fits all...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Oh Gary, if only you were able to read the English language I wouldn't have to keep answering your posts. Did you speak Farci at home when you were growing up?

So Gary, the noun "people" is plural. That means that it refers to 2 or more individuals in case you don't know what plural means. And a noun is a part of speech that is used to name a person, place, thing, quality, or action.

Gary--you said that "he tells people to use ..." but you were only able to show that I suggested the use of 1/2 cup of Iron Out in one instance. QED
Actually Dad used to talk Pennsylvania Dutch and a bit of German sometimes. I have been into Spanish and Dutch a bit many years ago but Dutch didn't work out much.

Yes I know plural, that's like more than one right? And since the OP, the other guy that tagged into the thread and at least me read the dumb statements you made, that makes plural I think.

Plus... you posted that incorrect information in a thread on a forum that will have many people reading it for years and screwing up their softeners at great expense to them Bob.

A 1/2 cup of Iron Out with each bag of salt!!! LOL

You should go back and correct that bad advice Bob.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Gary, can we just agree to disagree?

I will make my recommendation a bit more specific and perhaps that will alleviate some of your concerns--add 1/2 cup of Iron Out per 80 lb bag of salt. That should deal with the ambiguity because salt is packaged in different weight bags in different markets.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I am still looking for the .03ppm Fe....
That is because you don't know where the thread is and this forum won't allow the link. Below is the water test data the OP there posted and Bob replied to.

One thing that has worked for over 20 years is putting in some Iron out between the bags of extra course.. how much? that depends on the amount of Iron in the water and the size of the unit.. Have I messured the amount? no..(.. more like sugar toast if you know what that is... ) any where from a lite coat to a more heavy coat...
I mixed some in a couple gallons of water but when I tell a customer to do it, I state a specific dry measure cup volume based on their size of softener and how much iron in their water and how much water they use on like a weekly basis, and I also tell them how frequently to do it. I also tell them to use warm water if possible. That works much better and they use much less than sprinkling some in some in amongst the salt.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp..jpg
    untitled.bmp..jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 571

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
That is because you don't know where the thread is and this forum won't allow the link. Below is the water test data the OP there posted and Bob replied to.

I am wondering if perhaps the thread, or at least portions of it have been deleted from this board and the "quotes" that have been posted no longer exist on this board.

Gary--Are you quoting from posts currently on this board or have you saved posts that have been deleted?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Gary, can we just agree to disagree?

I stand by my advice. I note you have not posted what you believe to be better or more correct information so I find it hard to believe you are really very serious about all this.

And I am not surprised about your background--there are a lot of what are locally know as "hard headed" Pennsylvania Dutch in Pennsylvania. You see to fit the stereotype.
LOL yer so easy Bob... but no, no agreement here until you own up. Especially when you know I'm right and you call me hardheaded while refusing to take responsibility for your screw up.

So I have decided that I am not going to teach you more than to say you should read my latest reply to AKpsdvan, read his thoughts on this subject too.

So to you, since my Dad spoke some PA Dutch, my heritage has to be PA Dutch and I'm hard headed too. That demonstrates that in addition to you giving bad advice, you also have a lack of common sense or ability to think logically, and as you get caught in one, you are more than prone to jumping to other incorrect conclusions.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I am wondering if perhaps the thread, or at least portions of it have been deleted from this board and the "quotes" that have been posted no longer exist on this board.

Gary--Are you quoting from posts currently on this board or have you saved posts that have been deleted?
The thread is on another forum, not here on Terry's forums, and this forum won't allow the link to the other forum, but what difference does that make when I quoted what you said Bob? You aren't thinking I would lie about our Bob are you?

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
So we have been talking about some thing that is not even in this thread nor on this forum?

Like taking a test and half of the information that we are to know was in the teachers mind ....

So 20 years of field work and learning of what works and what does not work is worth nothing ? is that it? I am to drop all that information and learning and go with either you or the books that you have gotten your information from?

There is one other person that I know that feels that they are always right and no one else is even close to having it right........ and guess what , he and I have not talked for 8 years this last time around, and he lives in the same town....... that person is my father....

I have no room for some one that has an ego that is so large that it is them and no one else has any idea that could work. Do I have all the answers? far from it... each day is new and new ideas and new tricks on how to get to a goal.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What is this about being Dutch?

Did they have a team in the Olympics?
And does the Dutch have a team here on the softener forum?

What does it mean if you are Dutch?
My family is from Europe, and it seems all over, so how do I know if I"m part Dutch, and should I be happy or sad once I find out.

Does this mean I will have more complaints that this web site doesn't measure up to other web sites?
Is it because someone here is Dutch?
If they turn out to be Dutch, is there some place you send them, to you know, change them?

Would a Dutch person live in a motor home with wheels, or do they prefer the ones with the wheels removed?

Is being Dutch bad?
Can I use it as an insult if I run out of good words to use?

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
So we have been talking about some thing that is not even in this thread nor on this forum?

Like taking a test and half of the information that we are to know was in the teachers mind ....

So 20 years of field work and learning of what works and what does not work is worth nothing ? is that it? I am to drop all that information and learning and go with either you or the books that you have gotten your information from?

There is one other person that I know that feels that they are always right and no one else is even close to having it right........ and guess what , he and I have not talked for 8 years this last time around, and he lives in the same town....... that person is my father....

I have no room for some one that has an ego that is so large that it is them and no one else has any idea that could work. Do I have all the answers? far from it... each day is new and new ideas and new tricks on how to get to a goal.
Man no wonder why you're having problems getting along with others. I'm not following you as to why you're so upset with me, I hope adult beverages aren't involved.

May I suggest that tomorrow you go visit and talk to your Dad and apology for being disrespectful and as our Bob would say, hard headed?.Just go listen, nod affirmative occasionally and say you agree, even if you don't. Smile too. You'll feel better later if you do that like once a week.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks