Trap Primer constantly running

Users who are viewing this thread

GLM

Reaction score
I have several floor drains with trap primers connected. They seem to have a constant flow and have recently started spitting out enough water into the trap to make them gurgle from the splash. Why might this be? I have previously had very high water bills, but could never find a leak and suspected the sprinklers, but now I think it's these floor drains. Why would they need to have such continuous flow? Is there anything to adjust? I don't even know where they would be connected and hope it doesn't involve tearing up concrete floors.

GLM:confused:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
I have several floor drains with trap primers connected. They seem to have a constant flow and have recently started spitting out enough water into the trap to make them gurgle from the splash. Why might this be? I have previously had very high water bills, but could never find a leak and suspected the sprinklers, but now I think it's these floor drains. Why would they need to have such continuous flow? Is there anything to adjust? I don't even know where they would be connected and hope it doesn't involve tearing up concrete floors.

Trap primers should not have a continuous flow, they should have a slow drip. They should be located at a water source next to the floor drains. Look under the sinks in the area of the floor drains. Depending on the make, you should be able to get a rebuild kit to repair them.

John

trap_primer_installation_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"inline" trap primers have a rubber washer seal, which WILL deteriorate and allow constant flow. The best repair for these is replacement, although you may have to find one exactly the same size to fit in the pipe run. "Side arm" ones seldom fail by constantly running. They usually fail by NOT running at all. They also require replacement, but usually any similar one will work.

GLM

Reaction score
I cannot locate any attachments or branches from any of the fixtures in the bathroom or the sink in the adjoining room. Could the source be inside a wall or perhaps the attic space where they branch to the drains? There are 4 drains within a 10 foot diameter across two rooms. They all have a steady trickle, with occasional, but random spurts. The various drains to not all spurt at the same time or interval. Would this suggest that they have separate connections?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Normally they would each have individual primers, but there could be two on each primer if the installer piped them properly. They will usually be attached to the line going to a sink, and also usually in the wall with an access door. If they did not install the door, then you have to do some detective work and hope you can find them without making excess holes in the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks