Water Hammer?

Users who are viewing this thread

bdzerneke

Reaction score
My wife and I had a Water Right Sanitizer Plus Series conditioner installed in our new house 4 months ago. We have noticed a few times during the regeneration (at 2:00 am) a loud noise that sounds like the house is falling apart. Two nights ago she woke me up after she heard the noise and said there was water on the floor by the unit. Water was coming out of the line that leads from the brine tank to the unit.
I think it has to be water hammer but I'm not sure how to solve the probelm. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there are nuts at either end of that line, make sure that they are tight.. might have to use a small pair of channel locks, do not over tighten, but if the nut is not tight enough then it will pull air in and then when the unit goes to refill the brine tank, you get what you have been getting..

other questions just ask..

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Put the softener into a manual regeneration and watch it to find out exactly where the leak is.

If you have city water you may want to get a recording pressure gauge and see if your water pressure is too high overnight. Most any big box store or plumbing supply house will have them. If you have a pressure regulator valve, it may not be working correctly.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am going with the brine line not tight at the 474 Clack valve assembly ... seen it way to many times. Get some air in the system and then when the unit goes to refill the brine tank,, oh the sound and mess that it can and does make.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Clack dealer and you don't know the 474 clack brine safety float assembly.. never put together the 3/8 tubing nut lose enough that it pulled in some air in the brine draw and then when it moved to the brine refill made a banging sound and maybe leaked some water....

Ok...................

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I have always used the Fleck 2300 and later the 2310 valves and a #500 air check. Nope, no loose brine nuts that leaked water and I send my customers very detailed instructions so they don't either. And I use Pre fill.

Since you seem to have the air and noise problems, maybe you should use what I do .

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brass safety float assembley replaced by the plastic assembley.

PreFill,,, like the Sears and GE and Polar Star? oh that is a good one.

Did I say that I had a problem with it? no... just that I had seen it happen.

Clack valve but the fleck float assembly.. Clack not good enough?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Brass safety float assembley replaced by the plastic assembley.

PreFill,,, like the Sears and GE and Polar Star? oh that is a good one.

Did I say that I had a problem with it? no... just that I had seen it happen.

Clack valve but the fleck float assembly.. Clack not good enough?
No not a brass float assembly, a 2300 was brass and I haven't used one from like 10 years.

Yes Pre fill. It keeps the salt tank cleaner than Post where the water in the salt tank lays there from the end of a regeneration until the next regeneration, however long into the future that is. It reduces bridging of the salt also. And yes that all is good for the customer.

ummm, you haven't had the problem but you've seen it. But you sell Water Right and they have the problem with the 474 Clack brine safety float assembly.

I see that you sell Hague and the Fleck 2510 along with Water Right.

I also see your that web site shows you have an anti internet dealer philosophy. And here you are in a DIY forum bashing me as Bob999 might call it if he were being fair.

FIY, there are a number of missing pictures on your site.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I see........................................................previous members....................... ;)

Guys' you can't argue with or bash Gary, that's how people dissapear around here

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
No not a brass float assembly, a 2300 was brass and I haven't used one from like 10 years.

Yes Pre fill. It keeps the salt tank cleaner than Post where the water in the salt tank lays there from the end of a regeneration until the next regeneration, however long into the future that is. It reduces bridging of the salt also. And yes that all is good for the customer.

ummm, you haven't had the problem but you've seen it. But you sell Water Right and they have the problem with the 474 Clack brine safety float assembly.

I see that you sell Hague and the Fleck 2510 along with Water Right.

I also see your that web site shows you have an anti internet dealer philosophy. And here you are in a DIY forum bashing me as Bob999 might call it if he were being fair.

FIY, there are a number of missing pictures on your site.

I still work on Water right units that I sold and units that another had sold... I only do what is needed and not a quota ... have not sold Hague for years... and where did you go to get most of this information as I do not have it on the forum...???

It can and has happened on the fleck float assembly,,, nut not tight enough or works loose after some time.

When Have I tried to sell to any one on this forum????? When? Yes I do have a bit of anti internet dealer philosophy,,, I have not a clue as to the water quality in other parts of the country, but I can and have helped people fix the valve that was giving a problem...
All to often I get called to fix an Internet Special that some one bought because the internet dealer said the unit was the one for the job... but then I get called to Fix that problem and figure out how to get it to work... the internet dealer has no clue as to why it is not working or will not answer emails...

Bashing? questioning but if that is bashing then so be it...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I still work on Water right units that I sold and units that another had sold... I only do what is needed and not a quota ... have not sold Hague for years... and where did you go to get most of this information as I do not have it on the forum...???
Your Homepage in your Profile lists a web site. Click on your name at the top of a post and a drop down box shows Visit X's Homepage, it takes you to the web site listed in your profile. That's on this forum. I saw Hague and Ecowater is it on your web site, so I thought you sold them and Water Right.

When Have I tried to sell to any one on this forum????? When? Yes I do have a bit of anti internet dealer philosophy,,, I have not a clue as to the water quality in other parts of the country, but I can and have helped people fix the valve that was giving a problem...
I didn't say you sold online and I don't care if you do. So where do you come up with thinking I said anything about you selling online? I didn't. BTW, anyone from anywhere can give you water test data and then you use it to size equipment the same as if you went out and tested the water yourself.

All to often I get called to fix an Internet Special that some one bought because the internet dealer said the unit was the one for the job... but then I get called to Fix that problem and figure out how to get it to work... the internet dealer has no clue as to why it is not working or will not answer emails...
I feel your pain and have been there and done that too; albeit not in person on site but on the phone, many times. Here in this and other forums too. IMO many online dealers shouldn't be online or in the business at all but, it's still a free country. If I were a local dealer, I'd welcome the extra work and not complain about it, or I'd refuse the work. And I would welcome and market to DIYers in my area and sell to them rather than be anti DIY and anti online dealers...

Bashing? questioning but if that is bashing then so be it...
Yeah that was supposed to be humorous and a bit of a poke at Bob but serious too.

You don't see me questioning things you say because there's a difference in how we do something as long as I think it would work for a DIYer here. I.E. your smaller tanks than standard and a Turbulator with a higher than normal DLFC. I wouldn't do that or suggest someone do it but if it works in AK, I'm all for you. But... you seem to be questioning me fairly frequently just lately and I'm questioning why. And then especially after seeing your anti DIY statement on your web site.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I will say one thing..

I Did Not put my web page there........... I did not fill that in.

So just How did It get there???????

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
You don't see me questioning things you say because there's a difference in how we do something as long as I think it would work for a DIYer here. I.E. your smaller tanks than standard and a Turbulator with a higher than normal DLFC. I wouldn't do that or suggest someone do it but if it works in AK, I'm all for you. But... you seem to be questioning me fairly frequently just lately and I'm questioning why. And then especially after seeing your anti DIY statement on your web site.
You are something else Gary. You will bash me for the way I do things then make a comment like this. Some folks would call that 2 faced.

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know, I don't run anything here but my fingers. Well there is Peter.

But I see 'they' removed it now.

Maybe you have early onset *OGMFS

*(old guy memory fart syndrome).

Right, good spin but I am not bitting ... next..

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where am I anti DIY?

Because I made the statement that one could buy from a box store or from on line with no backup? that is Anti ?????

It is a fact... how many of us get called in to fix either of those ?

This thread is going where no one has gone before...

It started with a home owner asking a question, I answered as to one of the things that it could be and then was told that that was next to impossible and that it was what line pressure from the main plumbing?

There was a note from WaterRight years ago in their letter to dealers that the nut on the brine float assembly could either back off or was not tight enough at the start that could cause the problem that the home owner was talking about.

I have no problem in when not having an answer for a customer telling then that I have no answer but that I know where I could find some answers and get back to them on that... but there are others that feel that they have all the answers even if they are wrong..

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
You are something else Gary. You will bash me for the way I do things then make a comment like this. Some folks would call that 2 faced.
I wasn't talking to you. I quoted what comments I replied to.

And IIRC, the only thing I've ever said about you is that you don't size softeners correctly, and that your experience is mostly on big box brands that are nowhere near the quality of Autotrol, Clack or Fleck control valves and their parts.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
And IIRC, the only thing I've ever said about you is that you don't size softeners correctly, and that your experience is mostly on big box brands that are nowhere near the quality of Autotrol, Clack or Fleck control valves and their parts.

There you go again--I have to wonder if you know the truth. You certainly don't post it! You have made other bashing comments--I called you on one of them-- that you have not referred to in the quote above. Specifically you said:

p.s. Bob he is not going to get it no matter how much it is explained to him.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks