How to refinish bathroom cabinetry?

Users who are viewing this thread

flyboy718

Reaction score
Here is a plain jane dull boring flat linen cabinet in my bathroom that needs to be dressed up for the sale of our house. I was thinking of maybe using some veneer strips of some sort to create a design that would make them pop? Then I would like to finish up with an antique looking glaze or cracked look? Does anyone have any pics or advice to share please?

Attachments

• DSC03095.jpg
    DSC03095.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 335

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A lot depends on what they are made of. Is that wood? Melamine veneer?

If they are painted wood, which it looks like, the hinges already look gooped up with paint, and that is a turn off to me if I am inspecting a place. Hinges are cheap. Get some new ones in a finish to match the faucets, or a contrasting decorative finish like rubbed bronze, to suit the decor. Plan on doing a little scraping on the edges so the doors open and close nicely.

As for the "artistic touch" you're on your own!

flyboy718

Reaction score
Yeah they are just simply wood...and the hinges are gooped up.

I can't believe no one has ventured down this road before and does not have any ideas or pics of what they have done?

flyboy718

Reaction score
Wow! A remodeling forum and NO ONE has any information on this! Well I guess I will have to be the first to contribute once I am done with my faux cabinet refinish.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This site is first and foremost a PLUMBING site. The sponsor has divided the topics up, and there are plenty of pros who frequent the forum that will help with many remodel issues OTHER than plumbing. But there are not a lot of artists hanging around.

It IS Saturday. Be patient!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes, you would think a remodel forum was about redecorating, but in this case it is more about how to revise the plumbing. How about painting the doors an accent color BEFORE you change the hinges and handles?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well I am terribly sorry for posting this in the 'remodel forum' what was I thinking...good day.

Sorry if you were offended. It does take a little bit of thick skin to hang around here. My point was that "redecorating" and "remodeling" are not the same, and I did say to hang around because are often surprised by the range of expertise which makes an appearance here.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Let me try again. I tried to post, but it got dropped, I guess.

What you should do depends alot on your tastes, what you think the buyers will like, and the style of the rest of the bath and the style/age of the house.

I would hit HD, Lowe's, Barnes&Noble, and the web and look at bathroom design magazines/books to see if anything catches your eye. Then you can copy what they did and modify to suite your tastes.

If it is an older house (say pre-1940), there may be some nice wood under there. I would strip the wood to see what you are working with. If the wood looks nice, a stain or just a protective finish would give you a nice natural wood look. We can't see what else you have in the area, so we can't tell if a wood look would be better than paint. Hardware also does a lot to change the look. You can easily go between antique to traditional to comtemporary just by changing hardware.

We can't say what we think will look good to you. That is your call. Some additional pics or information about the bathroom/house would at least give us a little direction to give ideas. The fastest/easiest way would probably be to flip through the bathroom magazines, though.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks very much nukeman! Stands to reason that decorating ideas for our OP would come from the nuclear engineer! I told him to stick around!

Did you hear about the recent snafu at San Onofre where a communications booboo resulted in shut down of both XC systems at the same time, with the teakettle still cruising at 100%? The NRC inspectors are probably loving the OT them must be getting out there now! And if that wasn't enough, a short probably caused by the typhoons we had this week, set off the sirens in town in the middle of the night!

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
hehe. I'm not much of a decorator. Many people say I have good taste, but I have a hard time creating the ideas on my own, but I know what I like when I see it. :) Like most engineers, I'm very much a "left brainer", so the artistic side is about nill. :)

I did hear something about SONGS. I usually don't hear too much on the operating plants, though, as I work on new build/designs. I expect that we will see some new plants built in the US soon. It pretty much has to happen. Most current nuke plants will go offline around 2035. These plants make about 20% of the electricity in the US and demand is always going up. People don't want coal, natural gas is too expensive, and wind/solar won't cut it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks