Clack WS1 not metering

Users who are viewing this thread

mitchke

Reaction score
Hey,

I installed a Clack WS1 metered about 18 months ago, total new system. has worked flawlessly till now. noticed several days ago that water was hard, checked and it is not metering. Display says there are 800 gallons left (which is what it starts at after a cycle). checked simple stuff (plugs are all secure on the control board, no broken wires, the meter turbine is clean and spins freely). since it is stuck reading 800, is this more likely a control board problem? is there an easy way for a DIYer to check?
thanks
Keith

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
The only 2 possibilies I see from the troubleshooting guide is the pc board or wrong programming. After 18 month service I wouldn't think it would be wrong programming unless someone has changed it. If the meter spins free, that leaves the meter cable or the pc board. With an ohms meter, the cable can be tested.
This is exactly why I don't like the electronics. I just don't think they are worth it.

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you state that the meter turbin spins free, is that with it off the unit and checked?

Unplug the meter cable from the hole that is over the turbin, pass the turbin with the magnite over the sensor end of the cable , does the water flow icon flash?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The only 2 possibilies I see from the troubleshooting guide is the pc board or wrong programming. After 18 month service I wouldn't think it would be wrong programming unless someone has changed it. If the meter spins free, that leaves the meter cable or the pc board. With an ohms meter, the cable can be tested.
This is exactly why I don't like the electronics. I just don't think they are worth it.
Actually there are more than 2 possibilities and the circuit board will be the last thing to fail.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
One of the ends of the meter cable not making contact with either the board or the meter turbin.

Then there is the other item that has been found from time to time.... a three ball valve bypass tree gets put in along with the bypass handle set up of the unit... and the one ball valve in the three gets opened letting water bypass the unit all together.. have lost track as to how many times I have found that... now when on a service call that is the first thing that I am looking for,,, three ball valves that form a bypass and look for the middle one to make sure that it is CLOSED.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
One of the ends of the meter cable not making contact with either the board or the meter turbin.

Then there is the other item that has been found from time to time.... a three ball valve bypass tree gets put in along with the bypass handle set up of the unit... and the one ball valve in the three gets opened letting water bypass the unit all together.. have lost track as to how many times I have found that... now when on a service call that is the first thing that I am looking for,,, three ball valves that form a bypass and look for the middle one to make sure that it is CLOSED.

I doubt it's one of the bypass valves because he said it stopped meterng and I assume that he had not messed with it up to that point. There is a small chance it's the cable but again, he's already checked that. That pretty much leaves the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I don't think looking at the circuit board would show you a bad spot on it but then I've not been 'there', on site, in person, when I have had a couple customers have this same problem over the years. I guess I should have them take and send me closeup pictures before I troubleshoot. Ya think that would be good enough or would I still have to be 'there' on site, in person and you do?

Now looking back in my old guy memory, I used to troubleshoot up to 50 radio circuit boards an hour when I worked for GE Radio Receiver Dept back in the late 1960s (for like 5 yrs), and I could spot a problem or wire shorts etc. but on a Clack circuit board, there are no wires... so looking at the circuit board isn't going to help you.

So take another shot at no metering when it isn't the circuit board. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks