Toronto toilet rebates, Find toilet rough-in, and recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Justin_Toronto

Reaction score
Hi Experts,

I recently purchased/moved into an 8 year old condominium. It has two bathrooms, both with Crane brand 6 lpf toilets. The main bathroom toilet has been clogged since I moved in, plunging furiously is a temporary fix. It'll work for the first flush, but the second flush it'll be backed up again. I assume an object is stuck in the trap.

In either case, I'd rather just replace them both.

The first issue I'm having is---how can I accurately calculate the rough-in without first removing the toilet?

The second question is regarding recommendations. My priorities are:

1) Price! I don't have a lot to spend due to other renovations and recently changing jobs for something that pays less, but that I enjoy more.

2) durability (i.e. will not get clogged)

3) a tall seat height (I'm 6'2")

4) vanity---something that looks trendy, as I plan on selling in another 2 years for a larger space for a growing family, and when it comes to condos... most people care more about how it looks than anything else.

Admittedly, a low flush rate is not very high on my list, since water is included in the maintenance fees. Likewise, I don't require a dual flush.

I have looked into the Toto line of toilets, but they are indeed out of my price range.

I can get a very good deal on Niagara Flapperless toilets, which I do know have had extensive industry testing... but can't find any real world comments from owners as to their duribility. http://www.watermatrix.com/products.php

Thanks,

Justin

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The rough in is measured from the wall surface ( the drywall, not the baseboard) to the floor bolt on either side of the toilet.

If you buy a handicap height toilet for less than $300, you will probably regret the purchase, because it won't flush well.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
1) Price! I don't have a lot to spend due to other renovations and recently changing jobs for something that pays less, but that I enjoy more.
How much are you thinking on spending for a new toilet that flushes good? I really do not recommend spending under $200. You will get what you pay for.

I'm not sure if Toronto is still giving a rebate on certain low flush toilets purchased. Specific Toto toilets were on that list. I beleive it was a $60 rebate per toilet, up to 2 toilets per household. I'm certain that they do have at least 1 toilet rebate (for sure). Ask your local dealer for an application form. I carry some forms with me for Halton region incase clients ask about them.

http://www.toronto.ca/watereff/flush/pdf/rtrp_application.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think Canada has adopted the low flow requirement like we have in the states, but I don't think you will find many toilets on the market in Canada today that still use 3.5 gallons. That would mean manufacturers would have to be producing two sizes instead of one. It is my considered opinion that to buy a cheap toilet would be a poor investment. You will be spending much time with a plunger. You say you want an ADA toilet that flushes well and look good. You'll have to look a long way before you get anything better than a Toto Drake. No, these are not cheap, but they are good.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's a second thought. The Toto Dalton is a very good flusher, is ADA height, looks good and a 12" rough in. Sells for around $200 plus seat. Look at the Toto listings on this web site.

Justin_Toronto

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions/comments.

Toronto does still have rebates for up to 2 low-flush toilets. I will look into the Toto Dalton, thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toronto toilet rebates

There Toronto toilet rebates are here

Toilet Rebate

I see the Drake, Ultramax, Aquia and others on the list, but not the Dalton.
Which is odd, because the Dalton is a 6.0 liter toilet.

The bigger rebate is on the Watersense products. That would be 4.8 liter or less.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
For some reason City of Toronto took off all 6l Toto toilets from their rebate program over a year ago.
They have just now added these 6l back on, which is good because we were losing order for Drakes and Ultimates because they were not on the program.

Justin_Toronto

Reaction score
Well I measured the rough-in and from the bolts to the drywall (not the baseboard) and they're 10.5". I assume this would be a 10" rough-in... is it normal for there to be an extra half-inch?

I'm a little disappointed as I managed to score a great deal on a Ultra High Efficency 3L toilet within my price range. Both 17" height, and the extra long bowl. Watersense certified and exceeds all the tests I've seen with a 500 MaP score. But.... it has a 12" rough in. There's a video of the toilet here: http://www.cbc.ca/spark/2008/11/blowing-the-lid-off-toilets-with-nora-young/

Guess I'm back to the drawing board.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
10" Rough?
Caroma 270 can be swiveled to a 10" rough
Cadet 3 has a 10" tank
Toto Drake has a 10" model, CST744EF.10
Gerber has some 10" models

Justin_Toronto

Reaction score
are those "swiveling" rough-in tanks reliable? Also, any of the 10" rough-in toilets also come in Comfort Height? Seems very difficult to find from calling around...

pottygirl

Reaction score
ADA Height toilets for 10" rough

are those "swiveling" rough-in tanks reliable? Also, any of the 10" rough-in toilets also come in Comfort Height? Seems very difficult to find from calling around...

Caroma has several ADA compliant models that work with a 10" rough. The Sydney 270 EH ELO for example is rated to flush 1000g (that is 2.2 lbs) of solid waste on one single flush.

Best regards,
Andrea Paulinelli
ecoTransitions Inc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks