Cleaner vs primer

Users who are viewing this thread

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I screwed up the other day redoing a retired union plumbers kitchen sink pipes at least I think. I accidentally grabbed a can of clear PVC cleaner I had on my truck thinking I had grabbed clear primer. I realized it after a couple of joints and switched over to primer. It was getting late so I left it for now but am going back tomorrow to cut those two fittings out and redo them correctly. But I figured I'd ask if you guys if these joints would actually filmi sure they will but at the same time when reading the cans of cleaner and the primer they list the exact same ingredients. Anyone have any input on this? thanks

p.s. brown can and yellow can I must be going color blind

index.php

Attachments

• oatey cleaner.jpg
    oatey cleaner.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I wouldn't change it. Primer is similar to cleaner....just more agressive.
Plenty of sprinkler pipe is installed with neither! For DWV, your joints should be fine.

Asktom

Reaction score
Primer has a dye in it so inspectors can tell it has been used. I agree no problem on DWV.

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
thanks guys went there today and filled both sinks and let er run no problems Ive just never used cleaner at all before only had it cuz i got a lil sloppy with purple primer.No leaks and got to swap out the old globe valves under his sink too( no angle stops ).So it was a slow day but all good.Thanks for your help

Jetlag

Reaction score
No Problem

thanks guys went there today and filled both sinks and let er run no problems Ive just never used cleaner at all before only had it cuz i got a lil sloppy with purple primer.No leaks and got to swap out the old globe valves under his sink too( no angle stops ).So it was a slow day but all good.Thanks for your help

I wish I had a dollar for every pvc joint thats holding fine glued with only the cement. Ive been guilty few times myself even on supply pipes when in a tight and had no cleaner or primer . Ive never had a problem with that.

Steelers Fan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just left a house the other day where a guy used nothing but glue and before he got there the tub overflow and drain dripped after he left it poured;)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The cleaner/primer not only takes the crud off, but also softens the surface a little so the cement can melt and fuse the pipe into the fitting better. I think it somewhat depends on how much of the solvent has evaporated out of your can (i.e. an almost empty can has probably lost a bunch of the solvent) - when new, probably won't notice much, but you are likely to if at the end.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
You don't wan't that 2 AM CALL

i wouldn't change it. Primer is similar to cleaner....just more agressive.
Plenty of sprinkler pipe is installed with neither! For dwv, your joints should be fine.

cut it out , it is not the same

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Primer has a dye in it so inspectors can tell it has been used. I agree no problem on DWV.

I have seen some so called plumbers mix some primer with the glue to give it the purple color.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks