Relocating Kitchen Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Bart7

Reaction score
I am a new member and this is my first post. I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel and the sink drain and vent need to be moved about 1 foot to the right from its current location. From where it is to where it needs to go are 4 2X4s; a standard beam, a king stud, jack stud plus another (this is an inner wall and there is an opening between the kitchen and family room. I can move the drain from under the floor and bring it up in the new location but the vent pipe will need to go through the 4 2x4s. Does this seem to be the right approach? Any concerns with drilling through the 4 studs? Thanks.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I am a new member and this is my first post. I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel and the sink drain and vent need to be moved about 1 foot to the right from its current location. From where it is to where it needs to go are 4 2X4s; a standard beam, a king stud, jack stud plus another (this is an inner wall and there is an opening between the kitchen and family room. I can move the drain from under the floor and bring it up in the new location but the vent pipe will need to go through the 4 2x4s. Does this seem to be the right approach?

For 1 foot? That's a lot of trouble.

Why not just offset the trap arm, inside the cabinet, instead - leave the dwv where it is?

Any concerns with drilling through the 4 studs? Thanks.

Yes. You have to keep at least 5/8" away from either face, and the hole to a maximum of 60% of the stud (on a 2x4, that's 2-1/8"). If it's a bearing wall, 40% (1-5/8").

Offset's starting to sound like a good idea, am I right?

Bart7

Reaction score
Thanks Frenchie - the last thing I want to do is touch it. The 1 foot gets the drain into the new sink base cabinet. Leaving it where it is will make it be behind an adjacent cabinet. I can leave it but will lose space in the new cabinet. I attached a photo.

Attachments

• 134.JPG
    134.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 3,507
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks